Motherboards With Broken ASPM On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Not surprised that there are a crapload of Asus boards on the list given my experience dealing with their bios engineers who despite have all the proof in the world that something is broken won't listen to anyone until the issue becomes an epidemic.
    Considering the large range of boards that they sell, I wouldn't consider that a "crapload"..
    Their engineers are Chinese and they pretty much only speak Chinese.. So they're not browsing the USA message board the same way they browse the Chinese message board.. You need to get Asus to relay your concerns over to their Chinese engineers (or maybe, learn to speak Chinese?).

I had complaints about my 5 year old Asus M2N-E (Socket AM2) BIOS not officially supporting AM3 CPUs. After showing proof that I (and many other people) had these brand new AM3 CPUs running in 5-year-old AM2 motherboards as an "Unknown CPU", ASUS eventually released a BIOS update that supported these CPUs.. The overwhelming majority of other mobo manufs. never released a BIOS to support an AM3 CPUs in an AM2 socket. In order for Asus to make the AM3 CPUs work in the AM2 Socket motherboard they had to delete a few features from the BIOS to make room for the AM3 CPU microcode. ASUS did provide what their customers were asking for, even if it meant axing their own "features" to cram it in there. So I think that was pretty darn cool.. No other Mobo manufs. would go that far in order to cram additional microcode into their BIOS just because their customers wanted more CPU upgrade-ability in their 5+ year old motherboard..

So yea, I don't agree that Asus BIOS engineers won't listen to anyone.. They most definitely do listen... How many people have gone to Asus and asked about this ASPM problem? I'd bet no more than one or two, if any.. Heck, nobody even knew the cause of the power management problems until Phoronix pointed it out..
    Last edited by Sidicas; 10 October 2011, 12:45 PM.

Comment

My desktop is an Abit KN9 that is also affected by this bug. The chipset in this board is nVidia nForce4 (CK804) and pcie_aspm=force switch works so far and no instability. Are there any known quirks with this chipset and I have the latest BIOS for this board dated 4/28/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        Considering the large range of boards that they sell, I wouldn't consider that a "crapload"..
        Their engineers are Chinese and they pretty much only speak Chinese.. So they're not browsing the USA message board the same way they browse the Chinese message board.. You need to get Asus to relay your concerns over to their Chinese engineers (or maybe, learn to speak Chinese?).
        There are several more, those are the only ones tested. Asus has an excellent record of carrying over BIOS issues though a complete line. (PS, their engineers speak Hokkien and english).

I had complaints about my 5 year old Asus M2N-E (Socket AM2) BIOS not officially supporting AM3+ CPUs. After showing proof that I (and many other people) had these brand new AM3+ CPUs running in 5-year-old AM2 motherboards as an "Unknown CPU", ASUS eventually released a BIOS update that supported these CPUs.. The overwhelming majority of other mobo manufs. never released a BIOS to support an AM3+ CPUs in an AM2 socket. In order for Asus to make the AM3+ CPUs work in the AM2 Socket motherboard they had to delete a few features from the BIOS to make room for the AM3+ CPU microcode. ASUS did provide what their customers were asking for, even if it meant axing their own "features" to cram it in there. So I think that was pretty darn cool.. No other Mobo manufs. would go that far in order to cram additional microcode into their BIOS just because their customers wanted it..
        Sorry but companies like Abit (RIP) and Tyan have a better record when it comes to items like that (in fact Gigabyte does a lot of that as well). Asus doesn't stand out at all in those reguards.

So yea, I don't agree that Asus BIOS engineers won't listen to anyone.. They most definitely do listen... How many people have gone to Asus and asked about this ASPM problem? I'd bet no more than one or two, if any.. Heck, nobody even knew the cause of the power management problems until Phoronix pointed it out..
        Might want to search the forums, have posted transcripts of Asus's uselessness from past BIOS bugs.
        Last edited by deanjo; 10 October 2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          My desktop is an Abit KN9 that is also affected by this bug. The chipset in this board is nVidia nForce4 (CK804) and pcie_aspm=force switch works so far and no instability. Are there any known quirks with this chipset and I have the latest BIOS for this board dated 4/28/2008
          You can be sure there's no hope of that ever getting fixed... ABit went out of business..

Comment

You can be sure there's no hope of that ever getting fixed... ABit went out of business..
            I see, but it should be possible for the kernel ASPM code to make use of any quirks in the NF4 chipset though, or maybe editing tables and such in the BIOS

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              I see, but it should be possible for the kernel ASPM code to make use of any quirks in the NF4 chipset though, or maybe editing tables and such in the BIOS
              It's not the chipset that has the quirk, it's the BIOS that has the quirk...

I think it would have to be thoroughly tested on each specific motherboard before they go overriding what the BIOS is trying to tell the OS and enabling it anyway for everybody. That's probably the reason why the mobo manuf. didn't bother enabling it in the BIOS to begin with.... The manuf. may have never thoroughly tested it.... Or perhaps they just felt that setting it in the BIOS was redundant if the drivers enforced it.
              Last edited by Sidicas; 10 October 2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

ASUS is worthless. And of course the G73Jw and friends had problems -- it is the single worst laptop series I have ever seen, period. A bunch of colleagues and I ordered them for game development back when those were the cutting-edge sub-$2000 gaming notebooks. Not a single one of us has not major problems with the pieces of shit. They're just as buggy and problematic in Windows as any other OS, the BIOS and device firmware has a ton of bugs, and the hardware is shoddy and breaks easily.

Do not buy one of those things, and don't let anyone you even mildly care about buy one either.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by fewt View Post
                    Does it matter? It's an autogenerated list.

Comment

Technically Abit exited the motherboard business, though I'm not sure what business they went on to or who their parent company may have been. They still honored warranties and their web site is still strangely frozen in its 2008 state. Regardless its probably just the same as if they went out of business, as I would not expect them to bother with such a "minor" bios bug on old motherboards.

Comment

Working...
                      X