No announcement yet.

Does fglrx support render acceleration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does fglrx support render acceleration?

Apparently the lack of render acceleration is the main culprit behind my Xorg (Fedora 7) 2D desktop (no beryl/compiz or compositing going on) just not being that "snappy" -- compared to an NVidia card or the same Radeon in Windows.

I have a 9800XT.

Does anyone know if the fglrx supports RENDER acceleration? ("RenderAccel")

The open source driver does not support it on the 9500/9700 cards and above unfortunately.

Thanks.

the oss should support it according to the official blog
    (see: http://tirdc.livejournal.com/ )
    the fglrx supports it too, including aiglx from the 8.42.3 release.
    in older releases for compiz/beryl you would have had to use xgl.
    to enable rendering in xorg use:

Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    in your
    SectionDevice
    and

Section "Extensions"
    Option "DAMAGE" "true"
    Option "RENDER" "true"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    this things have been covered a lot in the 8.42 thread in this forum and get out if you take the time to make a search on this forum.

from the last 2 releases of the fglrx (8.41.7 and 8.42.3) the performance of the ati boards aren't too far away from windows and from nvidia boards. for a comparison see this article:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

where the fglrx 8.42.3 with a hd2900 performs about 20% better than the driver in windows vista.

Comment

Render is there by default and the option RenderAccel is not needed/used at all.

Most of such info is in your Xorg.0.log:

(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
      (WW) fglrx(0): Option "RenderAccel" is not used

Comment

I would never use RENDER true, because thats for emulation only. Speed is extra low.

Comment

Working...
        X