Rage Linux Port Is Not Likely Until 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
    win7 is really bullshit with all games while xp is real good . i have better pings and fps with xp x64 than w7 x64 .
    Complete opposite here. W7 X64 matches XP64, if not faster in both latency and fps.

Comment

There is this general (and extremely wrong) idea that XP is faster than Vista and Windows 7.

The problem with the introduction of Windows NT 6.x (which is what Vista and Windows 7 is) is threefold:
      -Old apps run sandboxed and therefore slower; NT 6.x apps runs faster;
      -RAM is, just like Linux, mostly cached and optimized for bigger RAM size (Windows Vista actually consumes in the megabites < 300MB);
      -Designed to be optimized for newer hardware, thus older hardware functions on a "Good enough to boot Word"-level.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Complete opposite here. W7 X64 matches XP64, if not faster in both latency and fps.
        it can not be faster , only because win7 has a lot more services running or a lot more network protocol .
        win xp does not have aero/gnome3 for exemple that needs a lot of the GPU and so on....

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        There is this general (and extremely wrong) idea that XP is faster than Vista and Windows 7.

The problem with the introduction of Windows NT 6.x (which is what Vista and Windows 7 is) is threefold:
        -Old apps run sandboxed and therefore slower; NT 6.x apps runs faster;
        -RAM is, just like Linux, mostly cached and optimized for bigger RAM size (Windows Vista actually consumes in the megabites < 300MB);
        -Designed to be optimized for newer hardware, thus older hardware functions on a "Good enough to boot Word"-level.
        not sure but i only installed drivers and vmware 8 , after booting win xp x64 consumes 608 Mo out of the 12 Go .
        L4D is very good with it and latest drivers for Rage .

to talk about Rage , it is a KILLER Game . very few people can have it playable , according to the first 20 minutes i played with XP X64 ;']
        it uses around 500 Mo of Ram and Max is 1 Go
        but it mostly use my 2x 4cores HT at 50 - 70 % : 12 cpu at full load
        i ll post more later

Comment

I've played almost 8 hours of Rage (from Steam) now through wine on Arch Linux 64 bit and it runs great. I've had very little problems with the game.

Comment

ati drivers still poor
            New video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbfK_uXR1ms (with Nvidia Card)wine 1.3.29, catalyst 11.8, kernel 3.1 rc9, game update 1forgot to record the so...

anyway getting nvidia soon. so im free from those nasty issues that the ati drivers deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
              ati drivers still poor
              New video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbfK_uXR1ms (with Nvidia Card)wine 1.3.29, catalyst 11.8, kernel 3.1 rc9, game update 1forgot to record the so...

anyway getting nvidia soon. so im free from those nasty issues that the ati drivers deliver.
              latest 11.10.2 are not bad as the video shows . with the update i have no-crash . having a nvidia seems mandatory with this game , at least i use the vt_useCudaTranscode = 2 http://www.geforce.com/News/articles...-simple-tweaks and now the game uses only half of what it did . so it needs 6 cores by now and is really smooth .
              i did only killing of bandits and now i start second mission that is to grab medicine

Comment

latest 11.10.2 are not bad as the video shows . with the update i have no-crash . having a nvidia seems mandatory with this game , at least i use the vt_useCudaTranscode = 2 http://www.geforce.com/News/articles...-simple-tweaks and now the game uses only half of what it did . so it needs 6 cores by now and is really smooth .
                i did only killing of bandits and now i start second mission that is to grab medicine
                latest 11.10.2? those are out for linux now?
                cant find the link. im forced to use 11.8 atm. cuz 11.9 has some random x crashes

Comment

it can not be faster , only because win7 has a lot more services running or a lot more network protocol .
                  Not really, while Win 7 does have IPv6 installed by default, so does XP 64 and any unneeded extras are simple a click away from disabling them. The Win 7 network stack is also far more efficient then XP's ever was and there are several network benchmarks out there to back up that fact.

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

win xp does not have aero/gnome3 for exemple that needs a lot of the GPU and so on....
                  Aero is suspended when running games in fullscreen. It isn't even close to being a factor. The only time that XP might have an advantage is on old titles that did see some ever so slight increase when utilizing DirectSound but most of the new games out there utilize openAL and it becomes a non-factor especially given the processors that are in use today.
                  Last edited by deanjo; 10 October 2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I want to report a fresh interview of Carmack so probably we stop deceiving ourself from playing Rage on linux:

Carmack: PC Not The Leading Platform For Games

An abstract:

?We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games?
                    ?Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases.?

Comment

Declarations of John Carmack about PC version.

Originally posted by John Carmack
                      We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games. That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version.

Comment

Working...
                      X