Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Rage Linux Port Is Not Likely Until 2012

ETQW (and most id software games) had punkbuster for multiplayer protection. the serial key for etqw was only to create a official account and play online. though if for an unbelievable happening like losing the cds or the key but you had your login and password you coukd/can download the iso from a torrent site and log to your official account.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano
    It is hard to create a single player protection that does not need permanent online checks that could not be hacked.
    true yet useless anyway. who would hack a single player game anyway?

But as that function currently seems to use steam to identify a simple serial check for linux might not be enough. So you might end on linux only servers, no idea if you want that. Steam on Linux would fix that issue immediately...
    i don't know if there are any dedicated rage servers... from what i understood, you would host the server on your pc if you create a co-op mission where your friend would connect to. the protocol should be the same for all OS clients... thought on linux with the lack on client side VAC it would be screwed for multiplayer. Valve should push an official beta to fix that but to see that happen is like winning the lotery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    It is hard to create a single player protection that does not need permanent online checks that could not be hacked.
    Same goes for protection that needs permanent online checks. There's really no difference. Steam has been reverse-engineered and re-implemented for a long time now. A cracked version of Rage without DRM was released literally *minutes* after the official release.

DRM as a means of copy protection simply doesn't work. DRM only works for online games where you need an account and must connect to a game server not hosted by players.
    Last edited by RealNC; 10-24-2011 at 03:24 AM.

We all still want rage on linux right ?

We want, we want... but the question is when? If there is a when...

http://ttimo.typepad.com/blog/2012/01/onwards-.html

Timothee Besset resigned from id. I guess Rage for Linux is even more unlikely now.

that's not good with TTimo gone i guess that it is a byebye for any linux port of id software games.... good luck TTimo and thanks for porting some damn good games to linux.