Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 12.1 Reaches Beta

Phoronix: openSUSE 12.1 Reaches Beta

The beta release of openSUSE 12.1 was released on Saturday in time for various openSUSE "beta pizza parties" being held around the world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone knows if proprietary AMD drivers work on Xorg stack provided with openSuSE 12.1 Beta?

Comment

They should work, they're still using X.org Server 1.10.4.

Of course Catalyst 11.9 really messes KDE up badly, so you may have better luck with 11.8.

The Factory repo there will do, it has 11.9 though but lists a few other versions as well.

Comment

"The openSUSE 12.1 Beta release is what was to be called openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 2" its milestone 5

Yes it works with catalyst drivers. It also runs noticeably cooler under open source ati drivers for me than 11.4

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
          "The openSUSE 12.1 Beta release is what was to be called openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 2" its milestone 5

Yes it works with catalyst drivers. It also runs noticeably cooler under open source ati drivers for me than 11.4
          Nope, it's milestone 6 :P

FWIW, it actually boots on my laptop now. With the kernel 11.4 shipped, initializing the kernel would fail due to some ACPI bug. Maybe that's due to the changes related to the "ACPI power consumption affair" which Phoronix reported about all the time? :P

Also: Catalyst works fine, I just recall having to recompile the kernel module manually. It could be possible that I just didn't have kernel headers installed when running the ati installer... don't remember

Still waiting for the packman repo to update their packages for 12.1 though... anyway, gotta do a system upgrade from 12.1 MS 5 today
          Last edited by NeoBrain; 04 October 2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
            Nope, it's milestone 6 :P
            :P yep that's right

Comment

My AMD 5730M is quite demanding in terms of heat disposal. OpenSource drivers overheat it quickly even on web browsing. (Drivers NEEED to lover voltage, turn off parts of GPU, to get lower temperature).
              So only option is proprietary driver, which is quite good for me.

So I'll try OpenSuSE.

No if only WoT worked under wine....

Comment

Working...
              X