Btrfs File-System For Old Computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs File-System For Old Computers?

Phoronix: Btrfs File-System For Old Computers?

Recently I published benchmarks of Btrfs from a Serial ATA 3.0 SSD (the excellent OCZ Vertex 3 SSD) and those results were interesting, but most people aren't running 6Gb/s solid-state drives, so how does this next-generation file-system perform on the opposite end of the spectrum? In this article are EXT4 and Btrfs benchmarks from an old Core Duo notebook with a 5400RPM mobile hard drive.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A core2duo isn't old! Now a 4500 (or was it 4200?) RPM ide laptopdrive, now that is old!

(Typing this from a T42 with a ide disk)

I'm a little bummed that the most important 'safety' option has such a huge impact on performance Hopefully this will be fixed soon, as I'm going to be using this laptop for hopefully 2-3 more years.

Comment

This isn't "old". It's just not high-end. If you refer to anything that's not high-end as "old", then 90% of stuff you can buy right now is "old" and is what most people are using.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
        A core2duo isn't old! Now a 4500 (or was it 4200?) RPM ide laptopdrive, now that is old!
        Its not a Core 2 duo, its a core duo. There is a big difference between the two, for starters the core 2 duo is a lot faster, second its 6 years old. If you told someone you were using a p3 in 2006 they would tell you thats old crap, so yes it is old. On the other hand a core duo is still useful today, unlike a p3 would be in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
          Its not a Core 2 duo, its a core duo. There is a big difference between the two, for starters the core 2 duo is a lot faster, second its 6 years old. If you told someone you were using a p3 in 2006 they would tell you thats old crap, so yes it is old. On the other hand a core duo is still useful today, unlike a p3 would be in 2006.
          The title is still misleading.
          When someone talks about "old computers", the usual is to picture this:
          Vendemos equipos reacondicionados, con garantía al mejor precio del mercado.

It usually means "crappy and utterly unusable junk".

A core duo isn't junk. They are very useful today.
          A better example of an old computer is a P4. That's a very old processor and the limit of the obsolete.

Comment

Still not old, old is the 2Ghz P4 Northwood w/ 384Mb PC2100, i845G chipset pushing a 30Gb 4200RPM HDD. Or the 800Mhz G4 PowerMac w/ 1Gb PC133, Radeon 7500 pushing a 7200 RPM HDD. Both are pretty damn old, but both are still more then usable in Linux, though they are pretty damn slow in OS X and Windows.

Comment

One day computers will be useful and relevant 100 years after production.

Comment

And you dub that rig "old" ?

Come and take a look at mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Still not old, old is the 2Ghz P4 Northwood w/ 384Mb PC2100, i845G chipset pushing a 30Gb 4200RPM HDD. Or the 800Mhz G4 PowerMac w/ 1Gb PC133, Radeon 7500 pushing a 7200 RPM HDD. Both are pretty damn old, but both are still more then usable in Linux, though they are pretty damn slow in OS X and Windows.
                  Does the PowerMac G4 push OS X?
                  I learned something new!
                  I believed it worked only on x86 machines. I've never been a mac user and Wikipedia busted my false belief
                  --> it worked on it until Leopard 10.5 wow

any mac user can tell whether it chokes the hardware, or is it responsive? Leopard on a G4, I mean

Comment

So what kind of risks are you facing if using the "nobarrier" option?

From a performance standpoint it seems like it might make sense to use lzo,nobarrier with OS partitions which don't get updated that often.

Comment

Working...
                    X