PSU advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
    The fan rotates slower (and makes less noise) when you aren't using the full power of the PSU, and as you said in your first post you don't need 1200W.

Edit. An interesting review of the PSU: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=377
    Thats more or less "introduction", than a "review".
    No detailed PSB analyse(protection circuits, conversions) , I couldn't see photo of PSB back, no deep analysis of conversion behavior (ripple, full load, overload, 5&3.3 conversion efficiency and deviations on different loads )
    85c caps ouch!

Additionally
    Originally posted by rwlabs.com
    No matter what test we used we could not cross the 1118W line but 95% of the units total rated output is not something easily achieved.
    Which means the unit is garbage. I know these supplies that advertize "700W" but in read world its PEAK OVERLOAD and not normal performance. Unless they die already at 600W. Like this one.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 24 October 2011, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Enermax Revolution85+ ERV1250EGT is 80 silver and it makes my mainboard very happy .
      pc has 2 hd5970 plus 1 gt570 with 2 xeons that needs 80 w .
      so that should be like your setup . the nv285 are really power hungry and you should overclock them too ? .
      i do not , except that i updated cards bios with more recents and they are having few more Mhz than before .

Comment

I would recommend a psu from Seasonic. Either the Platinum 860w or 1000w which is prabably the best quality psu on the market. You can read about them here

Or the Seasonic X series.

Comment

Hi, thanks you all for your advice.

Pick anyone that jonnyguru recommends.
          WHY not corsair?
          I mean, all PSU have probability to fail. Better assembly, better caps - lower chance, yet still.
          Did your PSU blow all components up too? Cause several years before, I had "superflower" - a cheap noname, that has burned Abit NF7-S v2! Still Abit contract repair team in Netherlands has repaired it, I had only to pay S&H costs.
          Corsair is usually seasonic inside.
          I recommend you any seasonic, enermax. I use Coolermaster myself as price/performance compromise.
          I know PSUs can fail, still in all these years I've always followed a simple rule: if a component fails, change brand for the next one in the same category (not forever, just for some time). The result is that the number of failures has been constantly decreasing as I rule out certain brands and prefer others. So, I have no problem in using Corsair RAM, but I'll wait a few years before I buy another PSU from them. The Corsair didn't completely blow up, probably just the 3.3V rails (would not poweron but worked somewhat afterwards), so fortunately the other components survived. However, getting it repaired would have been too complicated here.

Dude, thats freaking afterburner! Upgrade to sandybridge with 560/580 (or purchase used 295), seriously. Then 600-800W supply will do.
          I think I'm going to buy the Bulldozer+1 or Bulldozer+2 refresh when it comes out and if it is satisfactory. For the video cards, for bandwidth reasons (the PCIe x16 slots are 1.1) it is better to have 2 cards than a single powerful one. Besides, I've not mentioned that I'm using 2 monitors (in separated screen mode) and my current setup allows full 3d performance on both.

Enermax Revolution85+ ERV1250EGT is 80 silver and it makes my mainboard very happy .
          pc has 2 hd5970 plus 1 gt570 with 2 xeons that needs 80 w .
          so that should be like your setup . the nv285 are really power hungry and you should overclock them too ? .
          i do not , except that i updated cards bios with more recents and they are having few more Mhz than before .
          Thank you. The 285 are not overclocked, as the CPU is the bottleneck here and it's already difficult to mainatin a normal temperature in the middle tower case I'm using .

I would recommend a psu from Seasonic. Either the Platinum 860w or 1000w which is prabably the best quality psu on the market. You can read about them here

Or the Seasonic X series.
          Thank you. I was really interested in the Platinum 1000W, but I couldn't find any reseller in Italy.

At the end I went for the StriderGold, as it was easy to find here and fully modular. If I could have waited another few weeks I would have probably taken one of the Seasonic or Enermax, but the emergency 650W unit I was using forced me to remove half of the components and was like an aero-jet

Thanks again
          Last edited by kbios; 27 October 2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X