PSU advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU advice

Hi, since my corsair AX 1000W failed I'm looking for a new PSU. My requirements:
    - NOT a corsair
    - 950W or better
    - 80 Plus Gold or better
    - 100% modular

The closest I've found so far are the Enermax maxrevo, but I would like to hear other opinions.
    Thanks for any suggestion.

Originally posted by kbios View Post
    Hi, since my corsair AX 1000W failed I'm looking for a new PSU. My requirements:
    - NOT a corsair
    - 950W or better
    - 80 Plus Gold or better
    - 100% modular

The closest I've found so far are the Enermax maxrevo, but I would like to hear other opinions.
    Well if didn't specify modular, I would recommend PC Power and Coolings Turbo Cool series.

Comment

I can recommend a Huntkey PSU. I'm having two of them and they are already working fine for years. Huntkey are having some 1000+ W models but I don't know if there are modular ones. At least they don't have very rigid cables which makes it easy to hide unnecessary ones and keep the cables away from fans.

But I'm having absolutely no experience with the Huntkey PSU's of today. My two ones are already quite old.
      Last edited by AlbertP; 02 October 2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

- 950W or better
        More Watt != better. If you don't need them, they're just more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          More Watt != better.
          Without knowing his current setup and future expansion plans you cannot actually make that call.

Comment

Well if didn't specify modular, I would recommend PC Power and Coolings Turbo Cool series.
            Thanks, I've checked them, while they seem to have a not-so-great efficiency (83% for the Turbo-Cool 1200W, 88% for the Silencer Mk2 950W), they seem very very solid. I will consider the 950W.

I can recommend a Huntkey PSU. I'm having two of them and they are already working fine for years. Huntkey are having some 1000+ W models but I don't know if there are modular ones. At least they don't have very rigid cables which makes it easy to hide unnecessary ones and keep the cables away from fans.

But I'm having absolutely no experience with the Huntkey PSU's of today. My two ones are already quite old.
            Thanks, but the only suitable module now is the X7 1200W with what seems a very loud fan (only 12 cm).

More Watt != better. If you don't need them, they're just more expensive.
            Without knowing his current setup and future expansion plans you cannot actually make that call.
            My current setup is:
            - M2N32SLI-Deluxe
            - Phenom II X4 940 BE overclocked at 3.5 Ghz
            - 2x NVIDIA Geforce 285GTX 2Gb
            - Various fans, DVD reader/writer, the usual things.

Before the corsair I had a ThermalTake ToughPower 850W which entered self-protection after a few minutes at full load, so that's why I need at least 950W. I probably would not go over 1100W, since idle consumption is about 200W and it should be about 20% for efficiency reasons. Anyone has the Silverstone StriderGold 1000W? It seems interesting.

Comment

The fan rotates slower (and makes less noise) when you aren't using the full power of the PSU, and as you said in your first post you don't need 1200W.

Edit. An interesting review of the PSU: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=377
              Last edited by AlbertP; 03 October 2011, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the post. It has very useful information about the computer.

Comment

- NOT a corsair
                  - 950W or better
                  - 80 Plus Gold or better
                  - 100% modular

Pick anyone that jonnyguru recommends.
                  WHY not corsair?
                  I mean, all PSU have probability to fail. Better assembly, better caps - lower chance, yet still.
                  Did your PSU blow all components up too? Cause several years before, I had "superflower" - a cheap noname, that has burned Abit NF7-S v2! Still Abit contract repair team in Netherlands has repaired it, I had only to pay S&H costs.
                  Corsair is usually seasonic inside.
                  I recommend you any seasonic, enermax. I use Coolermaster myself as price/performance compromise.
                  Last edited by crazycheese; 24 October 2011, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Yes, its very good sample (soulpain' review here, if anyone needs, use google translate from german). On the other side, I remember he once bashed PC PnC for inferior quality in one model.

- M2N32SLI-Deluxe
                    - Phenom II X4 940 BE overclocked at 3.5 Ghz
                    - 2x NVIDIA Geforce 285GTX 2Gb
                    Dude, thats freaking afterburner! Upgrade to sandybridge with 560/580 (or purchase used 295), seriously. Then 600-800W supply will do.

Comment

Working...
                    X