Xrandr and ATI Radeon? HD 5870 Eyefinity 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xrandr and ATI Radeon? HD 5870 Eyefinity 6

So I have 6 displays I'm wrangling with, currently drudging around with 3 GPUs to support them all, so xrandr has been out of my reach for awhile, so I've been dealing with Xinerama bogging down my entire system. I came across the 5870 with 6 display ports available and was curious if the radeon driver's xrandr implementation would pick up on this many ports or just blow up in my face. I don't expect anybody to actually have this card with xrandr running, but just wondering from a design standpoint if this could work in theory before I drop the money and get this card. Any alternate suggestions would be welcome as well. Thanks.

I haven't actually seen 6 displays on a single card with the open driver but AFAIK it should work. Best to wait for someone who has actually seen 3 or 4 displays running with the open drivers though...

Just keep in mind that for 4 of the 6 displays you are going to need either a DP input or an active DP-to-whatever converter for each display.
    Test signature

Comment

4 Monitors on a FirePro 2460

I'm running 4 Dell 2007FP (1600x1200) running on a ATI/AMD FirePro 2460 with 4 mini-displayport to DVI adaptors.

I'm pretty sure the FirePro 2460 is just a 5450(RV810)

This is all running with the open drivers on Ubuntu 11.04 with xorg-egders ppa, and 3.0.4 kernel, and is running very well with compositing enabled.

Comment

3 monitors also works fine for me under catalyst and fglrx. ubuntu/natty amd64, kernel 2.6.39.

Comment

Besides the 5870 Eyefinity6 there exist also the 6870 Eyefinity6 from PowerColor and Club3D which costs for around 220 EUR.

Higher performance you might get from the ASUS EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 but that card can drive the two DVI-connected monitors only at a maximum resolution of 1920x1200. The Eyefinity6 cards support six 2560x1600 monitors.

Comment

Working...
          X