ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ole-Martin Broz View Post
    okey theese are the games i wanna test for linux BOTH ATI NVIDIA AND INTEL cross OS.

lets see windows 2000 and 2003 server, if phoronix want the copy of 2003 server i got from the book i bought about win 2k3 they can have it, or just ask microsoft about it.

i used to use windows server, increased my performance in lotsa stuff, strange, but did.

Okey

UT yes the first, Ut 2004 and Ut3 when it comes.
    Quake3 and Quake4
    Quakewars

Wine :
    Warcraft 3
    WOW.

and we need dx wine games, any suggestions ? what does ppl game alot through wine thats DX?

How about adding the following titles then:

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion ( has opengl and D3D if i am right )
    The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (opengl? )
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Far Cry
    Gothic 3
    Titan Quest ( With it's expansion. )

Comment

I don't think the list should be very long, maybe 3 games at most for Wine testing. WoW shouldn't be in the test bed because that game requires a monthly fee and I don't think Michael would be interested in doing testing on a game and have to spend 15$ just to do it. (I wouldn't either in a million years)

Just remember that the tests with Wine depend on Wine more importantly than just the graphic drivers. And that I don't think Wine should be the center of attention for testing. People want it, but its NOT native (In theory it is, but thats a different story).

All of the games like UT 2004 and such are all testable in Windows as well. Just remember to use the OpenGL renderer in Windows as well to give a more accurate test, since the Windows version defaults to the Direct3d renderer.

More games will be tested, just let Phoronix do their thing. Wine is not of any importance here. Thats a different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
        Just remember that the tests with Wine depend on Wine more importantly than just the graphic drivers.
        That, of course, depends on the game - some Wine optimisations for 2d games have been broken with fglrx for some time now, because the fglrx driver doesn't make available the full range of OpenGL extensions that it should. That's, arguably, not Wine's fault.

Of course, you're quite right that this is outside of the remit of the kind of testing Phoronix is thinking of - this kind of full-scale testing would also require an nVidia card as a control, to isolate Wine issues from fglrx issues, and I doubt they have the time to do that many benchmarks...

Comment

Originally posted by aoanla View Post
          ... I doubt they have the time to do that many benchmarks...
          I have the time

However I don't have the hardware
          (only have a 3870)

It would be nice to see a 3870 comparison with more titles

Comment

Working...
          X