Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 3 Released

Phoronix: FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 3 Released

The FreeBSD community has released a third beta of their forthcoming FreeBSD 9.0 operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No ZFS root

Sadly, the new installer still doesn't support root on ZFS (Unclear if it really supports ZFS at all). Via google, I found a very manual way of installing FreeBSD to get a ZFS only system (not even a UFS /boot), but I'd rather have the installer do that. PC-BSD let me install FreeBSD (for those who don't know, the PC-BSD installer gives the option to install FreeBSD) on ZFS root (but I think I still needed a UFS /boot), but PC-BSD only installs FreeBSD. Nothing gets configured (empty or non-existent /etc/rc.conf).

I think I'll stick with UFS (FFS) for now, as the lack of any real installer support really makes me feel ZFS is half baked in FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
      Sadly, the new installer still doesn't support root on ZFS (Unclear if it really supports ZFS at all). Via google, I found a very manual way of installing FreeBSD to get a ZFS only system (not even a UFS /boot), but I'd rather have the installer do that. PC-BSD let me install FreeBSD (for those who don't know, the PC-BSD installer gives the option to install FreeBSD) on ZFS root (but I think I still needed a UFS /boot), but PC-BSD only installs FreeBSD. Nothing gets configured (empty or non-existent /etc/rc.conf).

I think I'll stick with UFS (FFS) for now, as the lack of any real installer support really makes me feel ZFS is half baked in FreeBSD.
      Sounds like the PC-BSD installer needs to add full support for ZFS

Comment

Working...
      X