Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there any reason to use ubuntu/kubuntu with an ati board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there any reason to use ubuntu/kubuntu with an ati board?

i'm wondering this simple question since i've seen a lot of users using that distro and having themselves go mad with the ati-drivers.
    wouldn't it be wiser for them to use an official ati packaged distro as opensuse (this is an example since i've seen it in the supported distro and i've tried it)?
    going with 8.37 when there is the 8.42, that is not so bad, when 8.37 won't work with xorg7.3 and server 1.4 and with the 2.6.23 kernel for me is nonsense.
    and if the ubuntu devs really support oss do they include the last ati-drivers? i don't know this thing, since i'm not an ubuntu/kubuntu user but would be insterting to know at least this thing about a distro that claims to be a good one and user oriented.

4.1 GB for the OpenSuse DVD? Holy crap

Comment

4.1 GB for the OpenSuse DVD? Holy crap
      but it has packaged drivers and they install without problems in x64 and 32 bit.
      and by the way:
      kubuntu-7.10-dvd-amd64.iso 16-Oct-2007 23:37 4.3G Install/live DVD for 64-bit PC (AMD64) computers (standard download)
      so kubuntu weights more and the driver doesn't work without tweaks and manual install.
      maybe someone who uses Red Hat Enterprise Linux, if there's one could also share it's thoughts.
      i'm talking about opensuse since this is the only one official opensource (more or less) supported distro.

ps. by the way, where's the reason that i've been asking for?! i'm still waiting to learn about it if possible.

Comment

I don't see how the sizes of the DVD will affect your install. So it's 0.2 GB larger, roughly. I'm missing something here?

I downloaded the Ubuntu 7.10 DVD. I forget how big that was. In stark comparison, my custom OS install using the DVD fit in less than 1 GB.

1) On topic. It's all about user preference, or the freedom to choose! Whatever floats your boat, go for it.

2) Sure Ubuntu does OSS, but ATI binary blobs aren't exactly OSS, and since Ubuntu can't fix things if fglrx is the cause of a problem, they need to tread carefully. That means, no backporting every driver release.

3) As for not working with the kernel or a certain Xorg release, see above reason.

Boil it all down: it's your call, your choice ^^. Distros are all going to be using different kernels. Perhaps Fedora/OpenSUSE uses prebuilt kernels with the SLUB allocator. There goes your suspend xD

Why not go Gentoo and build everything so it works
        Cheers

Comment

does ubuntu provide at least the latest oss ati drivers or doesn't?

Why not go Gentoo and build everything so it works
          i could only agree with you.... but sometimes there's something that doesn't work immediately even in gentoo.

Comment

My x1950 Pro AGP doens't work under Gentoo but that's the drivers fault not Gentoo.

Comment

While most likely, not necessarily. Some people could have configurations that prevent the driver from working .

People with no experience and fresh from windows will start throwing things in to the system like MS Windows...and then it breaks.

As for OSS drivers, Ubuntu actually does have the radeonhd driver in it's repos I believe (gutsy), but it's not the latest. If we want the latest (cutting edge) drivers, you'd still have to compile and install them yourselves. Activity is kinda slow though with radeonhd...only two commits per day right now.

Comment

Working...
              X