Mozilla Releases Firefox 7 Web Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car analogies

So Firefox is a somewhat affordable toy, and Webkit an utterly unpractical expensive toy?

Comment

Open a bunch of tabs and leave them open for a while, memory usage in FF7 kills Chrome, when you add in ll of the processes they spin off to get idiot reviewers to think they use less resources.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Fast forward to today and the world is now in awe of the Bugatti Veynron rendering engine called Webkit and most of us 'naive' people decided to upgrade.
        Last I checked, Firefox still had almost twice the number of users that Webkit does.

Comment

I don't think cairo is going away. Azure needs a backend. That can be Direct 2D on Win 7. That is what they have done now. But the rest of the platforms still need cairo as the backend. That will be done later - putting Azure between the layout code and cairo.
          See http://robert.ocallahan.org/2011/09/...pi-design.html .

Comment

This forum needs moderators.

Anyhow, yes, Azure is going to use Cairo and OpenGL on Linux.
            Also, Firefox/Gecko is actually quite a big faster and more technologically advanced than Chrome on some fronts (and Chrome is on some other fronts). Type Inference anyone?

Since everyone uses a fork of webkit that is different, we have to refer to it as Chrome, cause Safari and friends aren't as good.

Needless to say, recent benchmarks show Opera and Firefox are actually the fastests current browsers on the block.

Comment

So I checked Firefox 8.0 beta today, and here's my conclusion:
              Horribly slow. Less screen space at the bar. Totaly not responsive. Sucks massive resources and makes my CPU fan spin like hell. Somehow keeps my HDD occupied for some wierd reason. What's up with this wierdish bar on the left? Why is there a search engine text form field when I can search with my adress bar? Why is there no most-visited and closed tabs page when I open a new tab?

Seriously... This piece of ancient history is getting uninstalled.

Posted from Firefox 8.0 beta.

Comment

What's up with this wierdish bar on the left?
                Maybe i just haven't installed Firefox on a clean profile in a while, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here.

Why is there a search engine text form field when I can search with my adress bar?
                So that you aren't locked in to Google, if you want to switch. Also, you're aware it only takes 5 seconds to remove, right?

Why is there no most-visited and closed tabs page when I open a new tab?
                I don't understand why anyone would want that, but apparently FF is adding some content to the new tabs soon. I'm not 100% sure what's going there.

Comment

It's a bit like Gnome: there was this purpose for it one day, until it got surpassed in every possible aspect of human software technology engineering.

Yes, it may shock you, but when IE was wreaking havoc and pure evil everyone, including me, absolutely loved the Corvette browser called Firefox.

Fast forward to today and the world is now in awe of the Bugatti Veynron rendering engine called Webkit and most of us 'naive' people decided to upgrade.

Don't you think that a free software Veynron beets the shit out of a Corvette rendering engine? Once and if this Webkit thing gets screwed up, then the right fork by the right people should kick in. But untill the next Big Thing happens, let's go with this opportunity. Let's not make it more difficult than it already is for web designers.

Firefox was like many software once very awesome, but now that it has done its job, it should rest in a museum.
                  Well if you think that the Corvette rendering engine has not been upgraded / improved since then to now, you are indeed naive.
                  Besides, my girlfriend uses Chrome(Webkit) and likes it. But now and then she has to use Firefox instead due to incorrect rendering in Chrome (count facebook into that category).

Comment

So I checked Firefox 8.0 beta today, and here's my conclusion:
                    Horribly slow. Less screen space at the bar. Totaly not responsive. Sucks massive resources and makes my CPU fan spin like hell. Somehow keeps my HDD occupied for some wierd reason. What's up with this wierdish bar on the left? Why is there a search engine text form field when I can search with my adress bar? Why is there no most-visited and closed tabs page when I open a new tab?

Seriously... This piece of ancient history is getting uninstalled.

Posted from Firefox 8.0 beta.
                    Conclusion is simple - don't use beta software.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Conclusion is simple - don't use beta software.
                      Precisely...beta software is a work in progress and things do and will get broken at times

Comment

Working...
                      X