Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Releases Firefox 7 Web Browser

Phoronix: Mozilla Releases Firefox 7 Web Browser

For those not already aware, Mozilla has released the Firefox 7 web browser today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thunderbird 7 was released the same time, but basically i don't see any differences. It seems Mozilla wants version >=10 soon with that release rate.

Comment

I like Firefox, and I like Mozilla's new release model because it makes sense. But keeping up with Chrome isn't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        I like Firefox, and I like Mozilla's new release model because it makes sense. But keeping up with Chrome isn't easy.
        Major difference for me:
        They've hidden the protocol and are trimming trailing slashes from URLs in the URL bar. So http://www.google.com/ becomes www.google.com in the URL bar. They're also graying out everything but the domain name to reduce user confusion.

For those like me who want the protocol to appear, go to about:config, and toggle browser.urlbar.trimURLs to false.

Oh, and in Windows 7 with computers that support Direct2D, the Canvas element rendering uses a new acceleration API. They're only doing this with <canvas> elements for now, to provide a small tester base. Next version they'll probably enable it browser-wide.

Comment

As someone who watched FireFox grow from Phoenix and then onto Firebird and watched the pain of integrating cairo before it was mature it kinda saddens me seeing cairo being ripped back out again

Comment

slower scrolling

Does anyone noticed a reduced scrolling speed?
            Try news.google.com (more evident with smooth-scrolling active), firefox 6 is smooth, 7 is jerky, at least on nvidia.
            Probably it depends on this new 'feature' called azure...
            Is it possible to disable it?

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
              Does anyone noticed a reduced scrolling speed?
              Try news.google.com (more evident with smooth-scrolling active), firefox 6 is smooth, 7 is jerky, at least on nvidia.
              Probably it depends on this new 'feature' called azure...
              Is it possible to disable it?
              AFAIK Azure is not yet enabled under Linux. For now it only provides 2D acceleration on windows platforms.

Comment

Useless browser.

Oh sorry... it's just that the entire world is switching to Webkit, so there's no use for this slow as hell browser that once kind-of used standards in an almost 90% compatible way...

Ditch this shit.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Useless browser.

Oh sorry... it's just that the entire world is switching to Webkit, so there's no use for this slow as hell browser that once kind-of used standards in an almost 90% compatible way...

Ditch this shit.
                  Very naive thinking. We should be glad that there is an alternative rendering engine, with a different set of advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

It's a bit like Gnome: there was this purpose for it one day, until it got surpassed in every possible aspect of human software technology engineering.

Yes, it may shock you, but when IE was wreaking havoc and pure evil everyone, including me, absolutely loved the Corvette browser called Firefox.

Fast forward to today and the world is now in awe of the Bugatti Veynron rendering engine called Webkit and most of us 'naive' people decided to upgrade.

Don't you think that a free software Veynron beets the shit out of a Corvette rendering engine? Once and if this Webkit thing gets screwed up, then the right fork by the right people should kick in. But untill the next Big Thing happens, let's go with this opportunity. Let's not make it more difficult than it already is for web designers.

Firefox was like many software once very awesome, but now that it has done its job, it should rest in a museum.

Comment

Working...
                    X