Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 127

Thread: The KDE vs. GNOME Schism In Free Software

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KhaaL View Post
    I agree with most of your post, but unity?!?? I tried gnome 3, KDE 4.6 and I liked them both way more than unity. I almost prefer Windows over unity. And I've been a ubuntu-kiddie for over 5 years.
    I'm using Windows and KDE since long time and sometimes I'm just getting bored, so I try something new.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20

    Default

    @V!NCENT

    I actually like gnome 3. I like how it simplifies the workflow (note however, the removal of various settings and customizations drives me nuts). I like how gnome-3 makes the system-tray sexy autohidden. Not to mention how well it runs on my system.

    But thats about it. KDE beats gnome in every area otherwise. I.... just wish it'd run more smoothly on my system. And that the back button on the mouse would work in dolphin.


    @kraftman

    I'd take enlightenment over unity any day if I'd feel bold and craving for something new & fresh ;-)


    NOTE:

    One feature removal that annoys the hell out of me in gnome 3 is removal of the ability to scroll between tabs while hovering the pointer over the tab bar since its "confusing for the user". What kind of arrogant attitude is this to the desktop user??

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Israel, Tel-Avil
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    I used to think that gnome was good and kde sucked.




    Now they both suck.
    Thats so true, it deserves to be a slashdot sig.
    And its sad too.

    Unity sucks. Unity sucks, Ubuntu sucks!.
    And yet I hate it only because of awkward interface and Mac cargo cult, the fact the its compiz based is fine, and I do use compiz

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KhaaL View Post
    @V!NCENT

    I actually like gnome 3. I like how it simplifies the workflow (note however, the removal of various settings and customizations drives me nuts). I like how gnome-3 makes the system-tray sexy autohidden. Not to mention how well it runs on my system.
    It's not as if you couldn't implement that into Gnome 2.x. Now that the biggest distro has dumped it due to dissatisfaction with the execution of the new Gnome (their own idea done wrong for crying out loud) and the massive outcries, I can't help but think that Gnome needs to go back to where they were for the time being and perform a well-thought-through reboot. Not just their DE but especialy their own internal organisation mentality.

    And that the back button on the mouse would work in dolphin.
    You've found a bug, congrats... No but realy, KDE's on a right path. I realy can't say that Gnome 3 is on any path.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,177

    Default

    Both KDE Plasma Workspace and GNOME Shell have been interesting concepts when people first talked about it lots of years ago.

    Time has passed, computer usage and needs have changed... and now both of them suck tbh. If it wasn't for Unity, which I think is great, I would have given up on desktop Linux entirely.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    146

    Default Let's add Android, ChromeOS, Moblin and Unity to the schisms

    Let's add Android, ChromeOS, Moblin and Unity to the schisms. All of these are corporate-sponsored. The fact that the corporate entities don't work together to build a single product shows that they don't care about the long-term viability of the software. For the hardware manufacturers (Google and Intel), the software can go to *ell after they've sold devices containing it. In fact, I'm sure some higher ups see the the lack of cross-pollination as a good thing, since they get to keep improvements to themselves.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    whilst no one being realy serious can say that Gnome is better than KDE.
    I'll say it, here and now. Gnome *is* better than KDE, from my experience. Others may have their own opinions, but I personally find Gnome (both 2, and now 3) much more usable than KDE.

  8. #18

    Default

    oh this takes me back in time... 2007 to be exact: http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/09/q...tk-impact.html

    *yawns*

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Why it's insulting? I don't want KDE to go the same way as Gnome, something wrong with that? Reading some of his responses makes me wonder in what world is he living?
    I think you're reading that quote out of context - I think he's actually saying the same thing as you, complaining about people who argue "this isn't Gnome" as a reason why their requested feature should be added to KDE. Much of that blog post amounts to "developers are mature adults; please act like one when dealing with them", with a distinct dislike of users who act as if entitled to make demands.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    I'll say it, here and now. Gnome *is* better than KDE, from my experience.
    Based on what workflow/feature/technology/efficiency/whatever do you claim that it is better? What is so fundamentaly 'better' about Gnome that makes it any better from a certain angle than XFCE?

    Oh yeah, that's right; even XFCE 4.8 beats the shit out of speed, features and workflow.

    Could you please tell me what part of Gnome 3 actually still resembles a DESKTOP environment?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •