PulseAudio 1.0 Is Now Released With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Works good on Kubuntu 11.10 Beta 2

Just installed Kubuntu Oneiric (installing over Chakra, which doesn't support PA) and Pulse Audio is working fine! I just checked and my microphone works. Also, Kubuntu provides a package for an alternative volume control called Veromix (which lets you set the volume of multiple programs). I still have KMix in the background so my volume knob (or rocker or whatever it is called) still works on my laptop.

Seems like the decision to move to PulseAudio is working out... but I can't really find a reason to be able to control multiple streams of sound. I'm not going to have a song playing in Amarok while watching a YouTube video! So, what is the real world application of PA?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      and even if it was a bug in PulseAudio, it may have been fixed ages ago (launchpad is chock-full of abandoned bugs, and the reporter hasn't said anything for 3 years).
      You know a ton of pulseaudio bugs have been abandoned not because they have been fixed but because many of them realized just removing pulse fixed their issues and had little reason to continue being a guinea pig.

Comment

My personal experience

I've just compiled and installed PulseAudio 1.0 and now all applications hang for some seconds when trying to use sound, then they fail. They worked relatively fine with PulseAudio 0.9.23. Syslog contains a couple of cryptic error messages from PulseAudio, but they were there too when PulseAudio worked. Starting the PulseAudio daemon in foreground mode produces kilometers of debug output, but not a single message when an application tries to play audio and fails.
        I'm sure it's entirely my fault, but still I would be happier if "desktop Linux" hadn't abandoned the beauty of the KISS approach. End of rant, now back to understand what's gone wrong this time.

Comment

passthrough audio support
          Like AC3/DTS passthrough for my digital 5.1 decoder?

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            When PA came around a bunch of people were all upset that now their cherished hacks and workarounds were completely ignored. Instead of allowing users to 'fix' their problems through elaborate and confusing system of settings, PA just depended on the drivers to do their job... correctly. And hence a huge number of bugs came to the surface. Most of which has been fixed by now.
            Thanks for great explanation. At first I was also bitching PA for some problems with audio, but then I realized the problems lay somewhere else. PA guys did a wonderful job.

Comment

Upgraded to PA 1.0, had to restart pulseaudio (which is expected) appart from that it seems to be working fine

Gentoo here

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                Upgraded to PA 1.0, had to restart pulseaudio (which is expected) appart from that it seems to be working fine

Gentoo here
                Yes, it seems like Gentoo was already running a pre-release of 1.0, so the bump to 1.0 was very minor.

Comment

will ubuntu 11.10 have pa 1.0 ?

Comment

Anyone experienced that one of the stereo channels is much louder with pulseaudio?

Anyways I like pulseaudio alot. Everything just seems to work easier than before

One thing I wonder about though is the audio delay when playing over network -- how god/bad is yours? Mine is like 5-10 seconds with wireless

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
                      will ubuntu 11.10 have pa 1.0 ?
                      Oneiric uses 0.99.3 at the moment but as it isn't yet released, it may still get an update to 1.0.

Comment

Working...
                      X