Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.04 vs. Ubuntu 11.10 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.04 vs. Ubuntu 11.10 Benchmarks

At the request of many Phoronix readers, here are some benchmarks comparing the 64-bit performance of Ubuntu 11.04 versus a recent development build of Ubuntu 11.10. Six different systems were benchmarked for this comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Might I suggest:

Perhaps it would bea better idea to use LuxMark as the OpenCL Test, rather than SmallPT GPU?

They were both created b the same guy at LuxRender, but LuxMark is more complex and advanced.

Nice benchmark

Comment

? who will win ?

On page 2:
      heavily regress with Ubuntu 11.10 compared to Ubuntu 11.10.

Comment

Looks great!

One of the things that kept me off of 11.04 was the bugs in the graphics stack that prevented me from playing/enjoying my full screen games.

If this benchmark shows these results with "Out of the box" configuration, then ticking Unredirect full screen apps in the compiz config will improve performance even more.

Ive been using 11.10 but installed Gnome 3 and games are smooth as silk. Will have to try Unity now.

FYI:
        As a note, there is now a bug in the nvidia-common package that causes some games to crash - so far only ID software games crash like Doom 3 and games with the related engine. Also, Wine/crossover games do not work. Here is a link to the bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/852873

Amnesia Dark Decent games seem to work fine as well as older ID games like quake and quake 2.

There is a workaround in the bug, however, and I tried to install the driver right from Nvidia with the same results.

Thanks for the benchmark!

Joe

Comment

What about...

The fact the optron kicks the core duo's butt and can keep up with the sandy bridge? Am I the only one who wants an expiation for THAT little tidbit?

Comment

Very nice seeing that 2-3x fps increase from 7.10 to 7.11 on the 4870. Anyone know what caused that huge a boost?

Comment

nice though...for some reason, the test system spec table is...well...too wide and cut off

Comment

Originally posted by snkiz View Post
                The fact the optron kicks the core duo's butt and can keep up with the sandy bridge? Am I the only one who wants an expiation for THAT little tidbit?
                Perhaps that is due to the fact that the opteron system is a 2 x quad core with an SSD.

Comment

I was one of those that complained about the textual descriptions of the systems being tested on the first page of articles, but if this is the alternative:

please bring back textual descriptions. Phoronix.com really needs a lot of work in the design/bug fixing departments...

Comment

Working...
                  X