Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Bridge laptop - Graphics recommendation

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
    Newer laptops with nVidia optimus and other technologies that render with one GPU and then pass it through to another GPU that's attached to a monitor for display.. Apparently doing this in Xorg currently requires nasty hack-jobs to get the job done.. (ala BumbleBee)... That's why the ABI is changing.. Hopefully these ABI changes will bring better nVidia optimus compatibility as well as things like Hybrid SLI / Hybrid Crossfire..

I was looking at buying a laptop with an nVidia GPU, but then realized that nvidia does not support their laptop GPUs on Linux anymore unless you buy a laptop with a hardware GPU switch / mux.. I wanted to blame nVidia for that, but really, the problem is in Xorg because it just can't switch back and forth between two completely different GPUs (nvidia and Intel) seamlessly while sending the video out to the same display... All Intel laptop CPUs now have GPUs in them and they're hooked up directly to the laptop's display whether you have another discrete GPU or not.. So that's a serious problem for Xorg unless you have a hardware switch where you can choose which GPU you connect your laptop's LCD display to.. Most nVidia optimus laptops don't have these hardware switches, but some laptop manufs. are providing them so that people can use their discrete GPU in Linux..
    Not much info out there besides Phoronix regarding Linux graphics drivers from what I can find. Even then, it's very confusing stuff!
    If you were buying a laptop with an i7-2630QM with the intention of running Ubuntu, would you settle for integrated graphics? It sounds like the Intel driver situation is getting better.
    I'm deciding specifically between the Acer AS5750-9851 and AS5750G-9463 (GT 540M). Thanks!
Working...
X