Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Gets Booted From openSUSE Tumbleweed

Phoronix: Systemd Gets Booted From openSUSE Tumbleweed

While systemd is being used by Fedora as the init manager and by other Linux distributions, it's not working out so well for openSUSE. For now, systemd is being removed from openSUSE Tumbleweed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that the big news here is that opensuse actually still exists

Comment

Any info on what issues they was having? I'm currently booted into opensuse m5 with systemd activated on both my laptops. Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

Comment

I think what should be taken away from this news is OpenSUSE actually cares about its users - when big faults are found in Ubuntu (such as the i810 problems and the pusleaudio problems) the same can't be said

Comment

Systemd is still a bit rough on the edge. I'm using it on Archlinux and while it's being doing its job ok, I've had some hard time configuring it and still haven't found how to enable Plymouth while using v86d. Yet it's the fastest init I've ever tried. I've also read extensively about it and think the general concepts behind it are great.

Comment

Sadly it's implied this booting is only temporary :P

Comment

I haven't used systemd with suse, but I haven't had a single problem with it on fedora 15.

Comment

weird, i believe fedora and mandriva havent had much problems with it, in fact it has made them better.

i also wonder what were the problems

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                  Any info on what issues they was having? I'm currently booted into opensuse m5 with systemd activated on both my laptops. Are there any issues that I should be aware of?
                  The mailing list post cites "a number of inter dependencies on packages that are not ready for Tumbleweed, and other interactions with the system that are causing problems for some users". Which suggests that there's no problem with systemd itself, but that some of the other packages aren't integrating cleanly with it and need more time to fix.

Comment

I think the problem ist that its for Tumbleweed which is 11.4 + new packages. And some packages need i.e. the new directory layout with /run etc. which might break other packages which are not from the Tumbleweed repository. 12.1 seems to work fine with systemd. However I had some problems on my laptop with it hanging for ~ 5 minutes before the login screen appears

Comment

Working...
                    X