X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Reference Code Being Re-Licensed

Phoronix: Wayland Reference Code Being Re-Licensed

A number of months ago I wrote about plans for

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kristian is also working on other stuff as it seems

link

login/session manager?????

Comment

I wished it had gone to LGPL I feel this might have encouraged more companies to give back to the project

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I wished it had gone to LGPL I feel this might have encouraged more companies to give back to the project
        LGPL would effectively end any chance of BSDs, Solaris, etc. adopting Wayland.
        Xorg is under MIT license since it exists and nobody has any problems giving developed code back. Wayland is the successor to Xorg and to get the same adoption rate, the same legal framework should be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          LGPL would effectively end any chance of BSDs, Solaris, etc. adopting Wayland.
          Xorg is under MIT license since it exists and nobody has any problems giving developed code back. Wayland is the successor to Xorg and to get the same adoption rate, the same legal framework should be used.
          I think they might have issues if it were GPL but not LGPL - Wayland is in user space - if these OS's didn't allow for LGPL they wouldn't be able to have Gnome or KDE included with them

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I think they might have issues if it were GPL but not LGPL - Wayland is in user space - if these OS's didn't allow for LGPL they wouldn't be able to have Gnome or KDE included with them
            This has nothing to do with ability. The BSDs simply do not like copyleft licenses, especially when being part of the core OS. Heck,with Wayland under MITL there might even a remote chance that Android adopts it in the far future (granted that is a stretch).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              This has nothing to do with ability. The BSDs simply do not like copyleft licenses, especially when being part of the core OS. Heck,with Wayland under MITL there might even a remote chance that Android adopts it in the far future (granted that is a stretch).
              I bet nobody from Wayland does even care about bsd and if they like something or not. The same like with systemd - they're made with Linux in mind and for Linux.

Comment

Wayland is not a successor to Xorg.

What we are hoping is that with some luck, it might become a viable alternative to Xorg on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  I bet nobody from Wayland does even care about bsd and if they like something or not. The same like with systemd - they're made with Linux in mind and for Linux.
                  Wayland is a specification, just like X11. It's up to those who implement the spec whether or not it will work on so and so an OS. If there are methods of doing what Wayland needs done, but different to the Linux kernel, then they need to be documented if you want implementers (gtk, qt, etc.) to work on your kernel/platform. If they don't exist, then you have some choices to make.

systemd is not a specification, it's a complete system for bringing up and managing services (and probably more; I'm not well versed in what exactly it does, since I don't need to be). Someone else is free to take it and modify it to work on their OS, or take the idea and make their own unique implementation (doesn't even have to be a complete implementation, and certainly doesn't need to all be done by one component), but it is designed specifically with the Linux kernel in mind and it doesn't look like that'll change soon.

(edit: I doubt it matters whether they "like" it or not; it's those who implement the spec who ultimately get to decide what gets done and how, and for what platforms. The spec will evolve as new challenges are met, and the world will continue to revolve)
                  Last edited by Nobu; 20 September 2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Meh

I can't bring myself to care much about the license here. Or whether or not the BSDs choose to adopt Wayland.

I guess in such a case, leaning towards the more permissive licenses is good.

Comment

Working...
                    X