Who here uses SuSE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here uses SuSE?

I installed the latest retail version (10.1) because of an article I am working on, and I can't say I am immediately impressed. The last version I used on a regular basis was 9.3, but once 10.0 came out, I found a lot was broken.

Oddly enough, the Online Update during the install completely froze, and I was unable to abort. After hard rebooting, it brought me into the root account, because I didn't get a chance to create a user account due to it crashing.

Once in the desktop, I was surprised to see that neither of my sound cards worked by default. I had to manually edit both to get either to work. The same goes for the network. The internet worked during the installer, but not once I was at the desktop.

Maybe I am misunderstanding SuSE in general, but I know it's supposed to be a 'friendlier' Linux. I am surprised that they leave the user to install an NVIDIA driver, or anything like that. Granted they are easy to install, but it's not really a 'jump in and go' like they claim. I remember in the 9.3 days, they -did- offer an NVIDIA driver in their YaST, but it's no longer there.

Either way, does anyone else have opinions on SuSE in general?

Providing a shout-out here for Rob Williams' SuSE 10.1 article. It can be found @ http://techgage.com/review.php?id=5312&page=1 with his thoughts on SuSE 10.1.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks man :-D

I have to say... my faith in SuSE is not great right now. After that article was published, someone e-mailed me to express that they ran into the exact same issues I did with the installation. They installed it twice and still don't have it working properly.

Though.. SuSE Enterprise 10 is looking sharp, with XGL working off the getgo. You going to give that one a try Michael?

Comment

Oooh, XGL installed by default. I fooled around with XGL in gentoo a while back, but the support for KDE was poor.

Also good review. I'll avoid SuSE for the time being.

Comment

Going to install that tonight and see how it handles. I know XGL with SuSE worked -perfectly-, so I expect the same from the Enterprise.

Good job getting it to work in Gentoo... I've running into multiple problems with blocked packages and such.

Comment

OpenSuSE 10.1 is a joke, there is no doubt about it. Don't let that sour your taste for SuSE Though. I went from OpenSuSE 10.1 to SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 and the difference is like night and day. There is no doubt that SLED 10 is so far ahead of other distrobutions. Although SLED 10 lacks certain files, you can add your old 10.1 cd's to the YaST repository and install any files from there. 10.1 was so buggy I couldn't even stand it anymore, and although SLED 10 has its issues they are minor and things you probley wouldn't even notice most of the time. You can update just fine through any way you choose to.

Comment

I have SuSe installed on all machines

My Server is Running SLES 10 Rc3 Running Great

My Wifes machine is running SLED 10 Final AMD64
              And I am Running SLED 10 X86 on my beast.

Must say that i love the setup, networking with NFS and printer sharing is a snap, also I tweaked the packages to run Quinns compiz XGL. Very nice.

the only negative I can see is the lack of development packages for web editing and Gtk and gnome IDE's other than that it is great. very smooth and very fast.

regards SMP-FREAK!

Comment

been running SUSE 10.1 on my Pentium M laptop for a month or two now.

always liked SUSE, used it since 9.1

Comment

Although I'm not a big RPM fan, I'd really like to see how SUPER turns out to be, if it's fast enough, I might be interested in it.

Comment

I'm using SuSE 10.2 B2 right now. I've always been on the edge, so no barriers for using beta software.

2.6.18.2 kernel, Xorg 7.2, latest Kde, gcc and gtk+... and I'm doing my part for the community by reporting back problems and possible solutions; the beauty of Open Source!

Comment

Working...
                    X