Back to 8.41.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to 8.41.7

I just installed the fglrx 8.42.3, and it's horsepoop. I get much worse performance, and I was wondering how I can downgrage(or upgrade, depending how you look at it) to 8.41.7. Changing back to the old xorg.conf won't work, will it?

I use 32-bit SLED10.1 on amd64 and Radeon Mobility HD 2400.

the new driver should have bugfixes for the new r600 series so it should run a little slower but in a better way. anyway, if you want to use that driver again,take yast and uninstall 8.42.3. then download the ati_package from the 8.41 site (there should be somewhere around; try the ati's rss update feed if you cannot find them elsewhere), run it in a shell and create the package for your distro. if it's not there chose opensuse 10.1 and that should generate the .rpm which is to be installed via rmp -ivh. if doens't want to install it then try forcing the package.
    and as a simple advice, if you don't need the sled for work upgrade to opensuse 10.3. i've tried it some days ago and it's the best precompiled distro that i've been using in the last years. now it's terrifically stable and fast and it's far better and newer than the sled 10.1 (that should be about 7-8 months old and for a linux distro that is a granny distro).
    but as i've said: pass to that ONLY if you NOT NEED tools included in the sled 10.1. the sled includes some tools that you won't get in opensuse. you might ask novell's support if they provide the packages from sled 10.1 to opensuse 10.3, but i really don't think they'll do it.

Comment

I think maybe video playback is better (but I did 65 updates in the same reboot, maybe it was the player), but refresh rate when scrolling is <2 fps. but only the scrolling part, like the window of the web-browser.

Is the package I need the ati-driver-installer-8.41.7-x86.x86_64.run file? I have that already downloaded. Is running that all need to do to install 8.41.7 again?

The only reason I use sled10.1 is because ubuntu didn't work(X), debian didn't work(wifi), and I had gotten sled10.1 from a magazine, and tried it, and it worked. So now I use SUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by wiscados View Post
        I just installed the fglrx 8.42.3, and it's horsepoop.
        Actually...horsepoop would be much more useful. You can grow nice stuff (flowers, veggies, etc...) with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Actually...horsepoop would be much more useful. You can grow nice stuff (flowers, veggies, etc...) with it...
          ROFLMAO

Comment

I think maybe video playback is better (but I did 65 updates in the same reboot, maybe it was the player), but refresh rate when scrolling is <2 fps. but only the scrolling part, like the window of the web-browser.

Is the package I need the ati-driver-installer-8.41.7-x86.x86_64.run file? I have that already downloaded. Is running that all need to do to install 8.41.7 again?

The only reason I use sled10.1 is because ubuntu didn't work(X), debian didn't work(wifi), and I had gotten sled10.1 from a magazine, and tried it, and it worked. So now I use SUSE.
            ok, first of all, i think that your problem is related to some bugs with compiz < 6.0 (i suppose that you have compiz installed and of my experience compiz is very slooooow). now, to reinstall the driver you have to do a ./ati-driver-installer-8.41.7-x86_64.run and follow the onscreen instruction to build the package for sled10.1 or opensuse10.1 if you don't find out sled10.1.remember that you need the sled 10.1 or opensuse10.1 package or the driver would not match the kernel installed. (for what i know sled doesn't update the kernel).

as for the distro, then, if you have the ways of getting your hands in some way (magazines or download) install that. it should add also the internet additional repos after you finish the installation procedure (about 15minutes of new install or 35 mins of update/upgrade on an ata-100 disk). if not just add them again as you did with sled (you'll only need packman, guru and some repos from the http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/ if you want your system always updated). it comes with the latest packages around and has a speed boost when compared to opensuse 10.1 of about 20% so comparing it to the sled that should be about 10-15% since sled should be a little faster. the overall experience is far better than older versions and some of its features would enter the kde4 (knm, the new kicker, the new oss ati-radeon-hd) while the gnome provided is the latest version and is developed directly by novell itself.
            so, as a simple advise, i would really recommend it to you. just have a backup of your personal files and then if you want you can update.
            if you want to take a look at some features you could have a look at the new kde4 live cd http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/ .it's 589mbytes and has the new kickoff and some new apps for kde4. if you want to upgrade to opensuse 10.3 remember to have a working live-cd/dvd because the new version runs with the s-ata/p-ata stack, which means that if you now run from a /dev/hda partition, you'll run from /dev/sda after updating, and that could prevent you from booting. the installation should fix this but if it doesn't have a working livecd at hand, boot in it, load your root partition and chage /dev/hdax to /dev/sdax where x is the number of the partions that you have with hda (if you upgrade).
            the installation dvd is 4,2GBytes for amd64 and 4,3GBytes for i586 for what i remember.

Comment

Well.. thanks for the responses. But i don't use Compiz, actually, I didn't come as far as to install it.

I have download openSUSE 10.3, but nothing more than that, yet. I have /home on a seperate partition and debian on an other, which I can replace with openSUSE 10.3.

But when I read the post I noticed one thing:
              you need the sled 10.1 or opensuse10.1 package or the driver would not match the kernel installed.
              And I realized one thing; I didn't do that. Here's the embarrassing part; I did a distro specific installation and it worked!! User error, I guess.

Well now I know that... Thanks!

EDIT: Just one more thing, how do I whitelist fglrx for compiz?
              Last edited by wiscados; 26 October 2007, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I did a distro specific installation and it worked!!
                wow, i'm actually used to build it for gentoo and forgot that there was that option also...
                anyway that gives a problem: you cannot uninstall it if i recall corectly, since it doesn't add the package to the rpm archive.

I have download openSUSE 10.3, but nothing more than that, yet. I have /home on a seperate partition and debian on an other, which I can replace with openSUSE 10.3.

But when I read the post I noticed one thing:
                installing it with also sled installed could be a good idea since you'd have a way to test it to see if you like it. i'd suggest t install all on a single partition (no /home on another partition). you won't have your sled settings in opensuse 10.3 but you could simply pass to them if you like by mounting the old /home partition if you like it. just remember to set the same users and password that you have on sled so that you don't have to reset the users if you want to mount the /home later on opensuse 10.3.

as for compiz: drop it. it seems that it has some bugs with 8.42.3 and with drivers before it doesn't work without xgl (which is really sloooooow). use beryl instead. it works in a good way now.
                as for the distro: the last opensuse come with gnome as default, so if you'd like kde you have to specifically set it. and remember to look at the partitioning info, since opensuse install dvd tends to remove the actual / partition and create its own over that. so you have to take a look at what it does.

Comment

Working...
                X