• Show
Clear All

• Asked before ? Mobility X1400 with Open Source Driver

Current setup:

Dell E1505
    ATI X1400
    1GB Ram
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy

When I tried using the Open-Source ATI drivers that came with gutsy, I can't start X because "no screens found". A quick peek at the Xorg.0.log indicates the ati driver doesn't appear to *actually* support this card? (well..it doesn't show up in the list of cards it's trying to find)

Anyway, I've been poking around in this forum for a bit but I'm not really seeing any "HowTo" for getting the open source driver to work for the X1400.

Is there a different Open-Source driver I'm supposed to be using ? What's the avivo driver?

I apologize if this question has been asked, but I'm just not finding anything in the forums and/or from googling to discover why my laptop refuses to use the Open-Source driver (it defaults to vesa)

TIA,
    Jon

you should install/compile latest version from git repo

watch out,becouse make install copies lib to /usr/local... ,which is not right location in ubuntu

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by mile View Post
      you should install/compile latest version from git repo
      Install what? Avivo or ati ?

Comment

RadeonHD. Follow that mentioned Phoronix how-to above. Avivo is a dead driver now and RadeonHD is where the development efforts are being focused on.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks - I'll post if I have any issues.

Comment

So far, so good - I can suspend/resume now!

No 3d - but I don't really care about that. I haven't tried plugging in my second monitor yet.

Any good howto's for this driver's configuration in xorg.conf?

Comment

Working...
            X