No announcement yet.

The Most Comprehensive AMD Radeon Linux Graphics Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While following the lists does get you the same info, the volume is rather huge. I appreciate how Michael filters the important bits for us.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      To the Phoronix and Michael critics: Stop derailing the thread! Want to whine about it? Get you a fscking blog!
      Michael himself derailed the thread, by whining about adblock in his article (twice).

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        Michael himself derailed the thread, by whining about adblock in his article (twice).
        And for the majority of the posters this seems to be the only info from a 38 pages article worth to be discussed. Sorry but I don't get it.

Comment

This is not the only article where Michael mentions AdBlock. So let's open a seperate topic for it and use this one for discussions about Radeon cards on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            Interesting comparison(I mean the thread topic). I find the CPU load numbers quite puzzling, 3-5 times lover than catalyst. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...berfest&num=36

I somehow had the idea the open source drivers would be CPU limited. No multithreading with catalyst too, load < 25% for a 4 core CPU? I asume 100% is full CPU utilisation. Would be great if one of the driver developers could comment on this.

To the Phoronix and Michael critics: Stop derailing the thread! Want to whine about it? Get you a fscking blog!
            I think the issue with the OSS drivers isn't doing lots of math or other calculations on the CPUs. It's them sending/fetching data to the GPU and then sitting there waiting on it before it can do anything else. That ends up showing the CPU as idle instead of busy, but it's waiting and can't do any more work.

I expect the higher CPU usage with Catalyst is mostly due to just pushing a lot more data to the GPU because of the higher performance, but it's also possible that it does more work optimizing everything in the driver and that ends up costing it more than the simpler OSS driver.

Comment

Working...
            X