AMD A6-3400M not working on Linux kernel 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some success at last!

Ok, so I installed ubuntu 11.04 64 bit on another partition, compiled the 3.1.1 kernel from kernel.org, installed everything from xorg-edgers and placed the firmware for both sumo and turks in /lib/firmware/radeon and /lib/firmware/(kernel-version)/radeon.

I still get the black screen problem, but atleast now if I pass radeon.modeset=0 it uses software rendering and starts. For ubuntu 11.10 64 bit live image using radeon.modeset=0 just brought it to the command line and neither desktop nor installer will start in graphical mode.

Comment

Success

Checked the Launchpad bug report and someone had posted that there was an issue and that it has been fixed and is part of the 3.2-rc1 kernel. Downloaded, compiled and installed and it works! Open source graphics!

Comment

Great!

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
        Checked the Launchpad bug report and someone had posted that there was an issue and that it has been fixed and is part of the 3.2-rc1 kernel. Downloaded, compiled and installed and it works! Open source graphics!
        Great! I'm going to try it ASAP. I'm on kernel 3.2.0-rc2 right now and I saw there is many modifications that are in relation with radeon in rc2. So may be it is even better ?

I'll bring feed back as soon as I have radeon reinstall on my machine.

Regards,

Bernard

Comment

SOLVED with kernel 3.2.0-rc2!! I confirm !!!

I have re-installed the open-source driver (radeon) and got rid of the proprietary driver (fglrx or ati-drivers).

I confirm that everything is now perfect. I have a perfect graphic screen with compositing manager (cairo-compmgr) AND I have my ttys back.
          The proprietary driver wouldn't have any tty.

my machine is an HP Pavillion G series with a AMD-3400M quad core processor and ATI HD6520G graphic card.
          I'm running a funtoo (gentoo) box with the following OS: Linux zeus 3.2.0-rc2-funtoo #6 SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 23 00:14:39 EST 2011 x86_64 AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux.

I get a slower FPS (60 FPS with glxgears instead of 1500 with fglrx), but I assume that it will improve eventually. I don't game anyway... I just want a clean interface with a nice composite (cairo) that is reactive & fast.

Thanks to all phoronix who helped and Alex Deucher who did the final patche in the kernel 3.2.0-rc1.
          (http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...65ff7c693de8cd )

Regards,

Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by PerfMonk View Post
            I get a slower FPS (60 FPS with glxgears instead of 1500 with fglrx), but I assume that it will improve eventually. I don't game anyway... I just want a clean interface with a nice composite (cairo) that is reactive & fast.
            ]
            The open source driver syncs GL to the refresh rate by default to avoid tearing. vblank_mode=0 glxgears will disable vblank.

Comment

Thank you agd5!

Thanks for the info. It explains a lot.

Regards,

Bernard

Comment

firmware

The firmware is "non-free" correct ?
                Can someone link me to the main website for the firmware, or is this built during kernel compile ?
                CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
                is what I've always used ... startx says cannot find firmware here, otherwise I think everything is setup right on my A8-3850

Any idea how long there will be a reliance on "non-free" firmware for the llanos ?

Comment

Firmware

In gentoo/funtoo the firmware is a package that you have to install ( x11-drivers/radeon-ucode). You have to find out its name for your distro.

But you have to add a step when you compile after "make modules_install", you have to do a "make firmware_install" to copy the firmware in the kernel directories.

If I consult the ebuild, I can see that the firmware is downloaded from : http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/
                  Then the ebuild copy it in "/lib/firmware/radeon/".

Regards,

Bernard

Comment

Sorry for hijacking this thread

I'm like planning buying a new notebook, with sufficient GPU power to play nexuiz / xonotic.

On my current 965gm this is a pain in the ass (~20fps), although i'm satisfied with the intel offering otherwise.

now I'm planning a a6 3410mx (or the new gen intel core i5-2xxx processor)

So I have a question on the guys with a llano notebook:

a) is the nexuiz / xonotic performance good?
                    for me open source drivers is nice, but not a must, so:
                    b) are the OS drivers delivering sufficient performance?
                    c) are there issues with the closed source drivers?

Thanks in advance

Comment

I recommend getting Intel Ironlake or Sandy Bridge as AMD Fusion is often a pain to get working when the OSS drivers fail.

Comment

Working...
                      X