This Is What Started AMD's Open-Source Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    it maybe crashes your brain but i know what it is dynpm is the automatic version without using any profile.
    but "mid" makes clear i do not mean the automatic version.
    This is starting to make my brain hurt, now. Do you want the dynamically switching PM, or not? It sounds to me like not. For example, earlier you wrote:

you claim that i claim that dynpm/low should be the default but in reality this is only in your imagination.
    your fight against your own imagination not against my points of view.
    because there is also dynpm/mid and this is not buggy but mid isn't default high is default.

and now explain me why mid is not default??

you can't explain?
    And then later you write:
    i think its hopeless to arguing to every one in the way that everyone can not understand why there is no working dynpm as default.

without dynpm you just have a broken product that produces pollution
    Now, I absolutely agree that dynpm needs to be fixed. It needs to be turned on by default. That needs to happen, and the sooner the better.

What doesn't need to happen is changing the default to the MID profile. That's going to cause nothing but problems, for reasons that have been gone over again and again. It wouldn't even affect a lot of cards, which don't even have a mid-profile, and Bridgman has said it causes problems on others. So what you are really asking for is to change a setting for your convenience (since you can already set it manually) that will hurt other people and keep them from being able to use the drivers at all. Minor inconveniences are much better than major ones.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
      is possible, to "force" system to change to mid/low after system is loaded?
      when reboot, go back to default?
      Here's a nice little blog post about how you can write a little shell script to force the profile change and integrate it into systemd to run during boot. The profile setting isn't saved by the driver, so it will always reset the next time you boot until the script runs again.

As of now pretty much everyone has heard of systemd , the next generation init system for Linux. Next to the fact that if provides a really fast boot (on different systems tested approximately 50% of the original boot time) and a clean solution for dependencies of services it also offers the…

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Here's a nice little blog post about how you can write a little shell script to force the profile change and integrate it into systemd to run during boot. The profile setting isn't saved by the driver, so it will always reset the next time you boot until the script runs again.

http://tirdc.livejournal.com/28471.html
        I dont want to mess with system by myself, and i dont need it NOW, my card is working good, but too slow in 3d.
        my sisters laptop gpu is nvidia, so i dont care. radeon power management wont fix that

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i think its hopeless to arguing to every one in the way that everyone can not understand why there is no working dynpm as default.
          Why is there no working dynpm by default? Because we are all waiting for you to write it.

Dynamic power management is complicated stuff so this code has to be written by a highly skilled professional who knows what he's talking about. And since you've clearly demonstrated that you know better than everyone else (bridgman included), it's only logical that you write the dynpm code.

You're the best man for this job Q, do not disappoint us. I'll be bugging you from time to time for status updates.

Comment

smitty3268: Overheating is the largest inconvinience a card can have. Why is that not a valid complaint?

Comment

Is overheating a larger inconvenience than crashing or having an unreadable display ?

If the driver defaults to "default" without power savings then the user can set a lower power mode. If the driver defaults to a power management mode which makes a system unuseable then the user's options are more limited. It's really that simple.

When the driver reaches the point that power savings can be turned on by default without causing problems for a non-trivial number of users then I think you can safely assume that the default will be changed.
              Last edited by bridgman; 18 September 2011, 12:51 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

If the card needs to be in "overheating mode" in order to not choke itself to death, or not randomly crash, then its useless ain't it?

Comment

For the relatively small set of systems where both of the following apply ...

(a) crash or don't display with *any* power saving mode enabled
                  (b) don't have a cooling solution capable of running with default settings

... then the open source drivers would not be a good solution and the proprietary driver would have to be used for now. It doesn't mean the card is useless.

The same would apply in any case where none of the power savings modes actually reduced power *and* the cooling solution wasn't capable of running at default settings... don't think I have seen any of those yet but I have seen one recently where the chip ran at a reasonable temperature but the fan noise was high enough to annoy the user.

Note that the problem is not so much "for a single system no power savings mode works" as "there isn't a single power savings mode which works on *all* systems". The former relates to useability of a single system, while the latter relates to whether one power savings mode can be picked as default (rather than defaulting to "default" and having the user pick a mode which works for their system).

BTW it's really important to distinguish between discussion about "should the current driver turn power savings on by default ?" with discussion about "will power management improve over time to the point where it can be turned on by default ?".

I suspect that people are confusing the two questions, and thus misinterpreting my statement that the driver should probably not enable the current PM code by default as a statement that PM is not going to improve over time. That's only a guess, but I don't remember ever having to answer the same question so many times in a single thread before.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 18 September 2011, 01:55 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Fellows,

Brigdman, I understand perfectly your explanation. IMO this comes down to one of the same problems Linux faces again and again. There is no graphical interface that allows a newbie user to swap between these PM modes. If there was such a tool, i believe there wouldn't be so much fighting between the better default. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Comment

Brigdman, but how all such problems solved in properietary driver? Isn't you can just look at already existing solution and then use it in open source driver?

Comment

Working...
                      X