Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is What Started AMD's Open-Source Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    or maybe you are blind or just a ignorance person.
    I'll take "blind" for $300, Alex.

I read that thread a few more times but didn't see any indication of default not running on the user's system. It didn't reduce power, obviously, but it also didn't crash at boot which is the problem on some systems if the driver defaults to mid, low, dynpm or anything else. As long as the system boots up (which it does with "default") the user can adjust power levels; if the system crashes at boot that's a lot harder.

Quote Originally Posted by del_diablo View Post
    Lets say your claim is true. Then what decides the "default profile"?
    The BIOS that lacks it? Some non-existing user setting? Hardware defined?
    The video BIOS contains a power settings table, with one or more entries. One of those entries is marked as "default". The VBIOS uses that entry when setting up the hardware, and IIRC "default" in the driver means "don't mess with whatever the VBIOS set".

When you say "The BIOS that lacks it", what does "it" refer to ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 09-17-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    but it also didn't crash at boot which is the problem on some systems if the driver defaults to mid
    i never ever read this before... any source for your claim ?

agd5f has mentioned it here a couple of times IIRC, also discussion on #radeon over the last couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    agd5f has mentioned it here a couple of times IIRC, also discussion on #radeon over the last couple of years
    sorry i can't click on this link to the source of the claims.

do i have to believe your fairy tale ?

@quaridium if you are too lazy to google up the IRC logs why should anyone help you.

sorry i can't click on this link to the source of the claims. do i have to believe your fairy tale ?
    You can believe anything you want.

Perhaps you could start by looking at RadeonFeature (mentions that low causes display problems on some laptops), then look at the various posts here where users find they don't have a working mid setting, and ask yourself "if low and mid aren't options for default, then what is ?".

If you look at agd5f's commits over the last couple of years you'll see various experiments to find default logic that runs with lower power *and* works reliably on all the systems out there, but my impression is that nobody has found a winning combination yet.
    Last edited by bridgman; 09-17-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    @quaridium if you are too lazy to google up the IRC logs why should anyone help you.
    its not lazy to follow a strict rule of a rhetoric basement.
    one rule says the one how claims is the one how have to bring the source or the argumentation.
    he do not bring an argumentation why this should be true and he do not bring any source.

why i should waste my time in searching a tiny mote in the hole universe only because some people do not follow any rule of rhetoric understatements ?

for me its analogical and the causality of trueness is near by zero

it is contradictory

compare this: "As long as the system boots up (which it does with "default") the user can adjust power levels; if the system crashes at boot that's a lot harder."

against this: "It didn't reduce power, obviously, but it also didn't crash at boot which is the problem on some systems if the driver defaults to mid, low, dynpm or anything else."

the first part claim the user can adjust the power levels and the seconds part claims the system crash at boot of the system do the same.
    in a computer science system this can not be true.

because its the same there is no "user" for an computer system there are only "Human input devices" and the human input devices are the same as a "Script" if a "script" put the setting to "mid" it should have the same result as the human input devices.

maybe he is trying to say something like this: "we are to stupid to set the mid profile after the startup"

maybe he is trying to say something like this: "we are to stupid to set the mid profile after the startup"
    No, he is trying to say "if a user manually sets a profile and something bad happens then they can reboot and not set that profile in the future, but if the driver defaults to the same profile at startup and something bad happens then the user is stuck because the same problem will occur on each subsequent boot".

Feel free to substitute "human input device" for "user" where doing so makes you happy.

If a user manually sets a profile (mid, for example) and finds it works well on their system, they can edit a startup file to have that profile set automatically on their system during each subsequent boot.
    Last edited by bridgman; 09-17-2011 at 01:24 PM.

is possible, to "force" system to change to mid/low after system is loaded?
    when reboot, go back to default?

Quote Originally Posted by NomadDemon
    is possible, to "force" system to change to mid/low after system is loaded?
    when reboot, go back to default?
    Manually? See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHo...wer-management.