Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which vesion have you gone to (back), or staying with now that 8.42.3 is out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
    8.42.3 is a step in the right direction for my x1950 Pro AGP. At least it sees my card as AGP now but has an error in Xorg.0.log and poor performance all round (presumably because of the error).

My old 6800 GT has higher framerates atm . I was getting segfaults in UT2004 demo though, not sure if that was a driver issue or because the card has been hanging around in a cupboard.
    Can you paste that Error? I have the same card and performance is craptastic. On the big 'the baby is born' forum entry posts get lost so fast, there's not point trying to discuss anything there

For now, i'm back to 8.34 as it's the only one that works properly with my (our) card(s)

Comment

From Xorg.0.log:

Code:
      (II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0x00004000
      (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.
      (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f00421b bridge: 0x10de/0x00e1
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask   0x00000000
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f00431a
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0xdc000000)
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocol is enabled for graphics board. (cmd=0x1f004312)
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] graphics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)
      (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
      Not sure if this is caused by the driver or kernel yet. Noticed CONFIG_PCI_MSI, in the kernel, might be needed for interrupts, I'll try turning it on.

There are no other errors but some warnings, mostly about AIGLX.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
        From Xorg.0.log:

Code:
        (II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0x00004000
        (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.
        (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f00421b bridge: 0x10de/0x00e1
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask   0x00000000
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f00431a
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0xdc000000)
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocol is enabled for graphics board. (cmd=0x1f004312)
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] graphics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)
        (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
        Not sure if this is caused by the driver or kernel yet. Noticed CONFIG_PCI_MSI, in the kernel, might be needed for interrupts, I'll try turning it on.

There are no other errors but some warnings, mostly about AIGLX.
        started a new thread, as we may have the same issue. I belive you are right about though

Comment

I'm currently staying with 8.42.3. After an upgrade to X.Org 7.3, all of the sudden it worked. :P I've got 3D working OK now, AIGLX works but no Compiz. I will only have to life with the display corruption till that's resolved though.

Next to that, I basically have no place to go anymore. :P 8.40 is not supported on X.Org 7.3 and the radeon driver stopped working after I installed 8.42 for the first time.

Comment

I had to go back to 8.40.4 personally due to issues with the way it kept trying to handle my monitor... couldn't do anything to fix it, and i even tried reconfiguring some stuff by hand and that was no good too.

Comment

Well I cannot get 8.41 or 8.42 to successfully build a package for Fedora7 on x86_64 -- so I have not even been able to evalutate the new offerings.

My builds fail with
              RPM build errors:
              File not found by glob: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.41.7-1-8398-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.41.7-1.f7-root-root/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*

Sigh!

Comment

Changing My Vote

Correction: I am NOT running on 8.40. In fact, since I changed to Fedora 7 x86_64 (from Fedora Core 6 x86_64) I have not been able to get AMD drivers working!!!

In times like this: VESA IS YOUR FRIEND.

Isn't that SAD!!

I STRONGLY doubt that I will EVER buy another ATI card again -- not will I recommend one to anyone.

For my work laptop I bought one with the Intel chip set. Not quite the highest of performers, but at least it WORKS.

Comment

i'll wait for opensource driver to mature. i'm not using fglrx again no matter what.

why are "opensource" and "mesa" options separate in the poll? i use them together. any by using mesa - i do have 3d acceleration.

Comment

Maybe rename the last one to vesa/fbdev

Comment

If you look what I said last week then I have to change my vote yet again. Thanks to help from mikeuw I got my Radeon X1300 working under Fedora 7. Refer here if you are stuck:

Originally posted by louisvd View Post

Correction: I am NOT running on 8.40. In fact, since I changed to Fedora 7 x86_64 (from Fedora Core 6 x86_64) I have not been able to get AMD drivers working!!!

In times like this: VESA IS YOUR FRIEND.

Isn't that SAD!!

I STRONGLY doubt that I will EVER buy another ATI card again -- not will I recommend one to anyone.

For my work laptop I bought one with the Intel chip set. Not quite the highest of performers, but at least it WORKS.

Comment

Working...
                      X