Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which vesion have you gone to (back), or staying with now that 8.42.3 is out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which vesion have you gone to (back), or staying with now that 8.42.3 is out?

Went to 8.40.4 (before 8.38.6) after trying out 8.42.3. It was nice, got to enable AIGLX (felt like Nvidia for a second), but that gave half the frame rates of glxgears 6000fps vs 11000fps with the current 8.40.4 driver.

So I'm back to 8.40.4, still running XGL and compiz that looks great, is fast, and firefox has no scrolling problems. Everything zippy as before. Well, the suspense of waiting for 8.42.3 was fun while it lasted.

X1900XT
    8.42.3 - sticking with it
    57.89%
    5.26%
    19.30%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    8.35.5 or lower fglrx driver
    5.26%
    opensource driver
    10.53%
    mesa driver - I no need no stikin' 3d
    1.75%
    Last edited by link2zelda; 25 October 2007, 05:11 PM.

Back to 8.41.7 - 8.40.4 never worked for me, and I don't particularly want to regress further, considering that X1950 support is reportedly wonky in earlier drivers.

Comment

I went straight back to 8.40.4..

Call me old fashioned but if I have to sacrifice watching video or using any 3d without it flicking madly just to use compiz-fusion with AIGLX sounds like a pretty bad deal.

So back to XGL which despite its limitations gives great compiz performance and video playback is perfect along with dual monitor working perfectly as well

roll on 8.43! maybe by 8.50 we will have a driver that can do more than a few things right at the same time hehe

Comment

8.42 + AIGLX + compiz gives a preview that it might really work someday (maybe even soon), but with the current "known" bugs it's not useable yet. Without compiz it works for me, and has best 3D performance ever.

8.40 + XGL + compiz runs fine, but XGL has (workable, but still nagging) problems of its own when running other OpenGL apps on top of it.

So, for now I do without compiz eyecandy (or temporarily downgrade to 8.40/XGL/compiz when it gets necessary to mute some MS fanboy ), stay with 8.42 and wait for 8.43

Edit: Thinking about it, I could still upgrade to 8.42/AIGLX/compiz afterwards and tell the fanboy "Look, and the new driver can play videos so fast that some people's eyes and brain can no longer keep up with it" ;-)))
        Last edited by Snake; 25 October 2007, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by link2zelda View Post
          Went to 8.40.4 (before 8.38.6) after trying out 8.42.3. It was nice, got to enable AIGLX (felt like Nvidia for a second), but that gave half the frame rates of glxgears 6000fps vs 11000fps with the current 8.40.4 driver.

So I'm back to 8.40.4, still running XGL and compiz that looks great, is fast, and firefox has no scrolling problems. Everything zippy as before. Well, the suspense of waiting for 8.42.3 was fun while it lasted.

X1900XT
          None of the above right at the moment.

I've got NO fglrx supported ATI hardware in play right at the moment (Need to get my PCI-E box back up first...)- all the current ATI hardware I have in play is supported by the OpenSource drivers (Radeon Mobility 9000). Everything else is NVidia right at the moment. Mostly 5 series chips but I've got 1 7600 right now.

Now, having said this, I've got one R420 board and one R515 board that're PCI-E. But with this train-wreck going on
          with the drivers being delivered us right at the moment, I'm not going to go out of my way right at the moment to get
          another PCI-E machine up JUST to test that hardware. IF they get their act together here shortly, I'll revisit that and even consider one of the higher-end R600 based boards. But that means stable drivers from them OR stable drivers from
          the X.Org crowd that supports pretty much everything, based off of given technical info.
          Last edited by Svartalf; 25 October 2007, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Its just amazing that not a single people reports in the success story post, yet most of them are sticking with 8.42. I reverted to 8.40 because even if I can tolerate with the stutterness and slow down in scrolling and animations, I can never tolerate with a stupid rectangle video flickering like hell on the desktop! How I can watch a movie like that? Kills my pathetic eyes

Comment

Where's the option "I now use an old GeForce MX 400 I had lying around, and it outperforms my newer more expensive ATI card"

The performence improvements from 8.40 to 8.42 are impressive, but i had to revert to 8.40 (when I'm not using the MX400), because of the watermark. AIGLX wasn't usable. Windows were turning white randomly. But ironicly never while alt-tabbing as in the demo video here on Phoronix.

Comment

I changed back to fglrx 8.40.4 after 8.42.3 decided to cause craploads of errors (and an infinite loop once, which was not nice.) It was nice for the first few hours.

Comment

8.40 -> 8.41 -> disappointed -> 8.40 -> 8.42 -> totally pissed off -> 8.40 -> waiting for 8800GT now .........

Comment

8.42.3 is a step in the right direction for my x1950 Pro AGP. At least it sees my card as AGP now but has an error in Xorg.0.log and poor performance all round (presumably because of the error).

My old 6800 GT has higher framerates atm . I was getting segfaults in UT2004 demo though, not sure if that was a driver issue or because the card has been hanging around in a cupboard.

Comment

Working...
                    X