Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q/A: Contributing To Open-Source Projects

Phoronix: Q/A: Contributing To Open-Source Projects

On Tuesday at XDC2011 Chicago I hosted a question and answer panel about contributing to X.Org, Mesa, and the Linux kernel. Much of the information presented, however, is relevant to any open-source / free software project. The panel participants were largely graphics driver developers that started off contributing to open-source when at university and some of them have since moved on to working for major Linux companies, i.e. Intel and Red Hat. The talk was very interesting and Chicago computer science students were free to ask questions of them.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My question to the questions & answers

Thanks for doing this Q&A panel talk, but I'm afraid the the video and sound quality is very poor to actually enjoy this. Was my question actually being discussed? Given that it was the only real question posted to this thread it'd better be...

Comment

I am dissapoint.
      I mean, I am dissapointed that much that I've logged on to write about it. You've got to be kidding. Is this a coverage of conference?

I guess I missed something. Some photos, where you are bragging about some beer. And again posing with some major players in here. Wow, you are organizer. Wow, you are that good.

But where's the stuff from the conference? Where are the slides/videos/summary of talks? If I remember correctly, last year there were some pretty decent ones. This year... so far this is the way worst coverage for the conference I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by hanglekuk View Post
        But where's the stuff from the conference? Where are the slides/videos/summary of talks? If I remember correctly, last year there were some pretty decent ones. This year... so far this is the way worst coverage for the conference I've ever seen.
        If you click on the story there are slides and video at the bottom, or are you talking about something other than this session ?
        Test signature

Comment

I'm talking about the whole event. This is the mostly covered topic so far and... Well.. As I was writing previously. I am dissapoint.
          Am I missing something?
          Could you please share some scribbles/notes/impressions? I'm keenly interested in the topics/discussions, but the details are really lacking

Comment

There is some more info appearing in the Notes :

Not a lot of detail but it all helps.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by hanglekuk View Post
              I'm talking about the whole event. This is the mostly covered topic so far and... Well.. As I was writing previously. I am dissapoint.
              Am I missing something?
              Could you please share some scribbles/notes/impressions? I'm keenly interested in the topics/discussions, but the details are really lacking
              Are you somehow missing all of the other news entries being said on the first page? In terms of the Q&A coverage, it's simply posting of slides and my letter and the video. I haven't received slides from any of the other speakers.... Since I did the Q&A, I obviously have all the slides, etc. Some of the videos didn't turn out due to Cheese in GNOME 3.2 development failing a lot, but portions of those will appear soon. I think most of my notes are in the already other published news posts.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X