Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana 151a Released; One Year Anniversary

Phoronix: OpenIndiana 151a Released; One Year Anniversary

To mark the one year anniversary of the creation of OpenIndiana, there's a new OpenIndiana release. OpenIndiana 151a is this new release that is timed one year after this OpenSolaris fork arrived following the fallout from Oracle killing off OpenSolaris and Solaris development in the open...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now that Openindiana (aka the newer and "free"er Opensolaris) is un-shackled from oracle, is there an easy way to just
    play Music and watch DVD movies,... ?-specifically for the OpenIndiana desktop. ?
    (assuming you have all the right kinda-hardware/drivers, like nvidia,... ) and, as a "Desktop", i was hoping OpenIndiana would provide a little more of a one stop repo/solution/instructions for quickly installing. for example, VLC ? for atleast the first time user.
    Needless, I like where Openindiana are heading, and I hope they have greater success.

Comment

Originally posted by scjet View Post
      Now that Openindiana (aka the newer and "free"er Opensolaris) is un-shackled from oracle, is there an easy way to just
      play Music and watch DVD movies,... ?-specifically for the OpenIndiana desktop. ?
      (assuming you have all the right kinda-hardware/drivers, like nvidia,... ) and, as a "Desktop", i was hoping OpenIndiana would provide a little more of a one stop repo/solution/instructions for quickly installing. for example, VLC ? for atleast the first time user.
      Needless, I like where Openindiana are heading, and I hope they have greater success.
      Yeah ... there is a SFW repository which contains "FreeWare" ... and a "SFW encumbered" repository for Freeware that might not be legal/licensed in your country

Comment

Solaris worked pretty good with kde3 on Sun ultrasparcs back in times. Xorg, 1280 res, sound, some 2d acceleration, videoplayback(via mplayer if I remember correctly), konqueror, javac etc.

Comment

Working...
        X