That Piece Of Crap Hewlett-Packard Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's up to you

I am an Ad block Plus user and will never disable it for the sake of your site. The tracking that ad-serving companies do is unacceptable to me and to anyone who understands the ridiculous invasion of privacy involved.

I only recently discovered your site and added the RSS feed, reading the occasional article and sharing it with friends. If you would rather not have 'scum' users like me on the site, just let me know in a reply to this thread and I will remove your feed from my reader and never return.

Comment

What Ad?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Michael, I will disable AdBlock for your website on one condition - you promise that there will be no Flash ads.
        I choose to use FlashBlock, even when I turn off ABP to support the site. I still load a few ads each time I visit the homepage, but some ads are just too obtrusive/annoying and a huge waste of bandwidth. Thankfully, Michael got that ad pulled or I would have had to resort to using NoScript.

Comment

I'm a premium user who has to visit the main page in order to click "Forums" so I can login every 15 minutes, so you're damn right I'm going to use AdBlock or other "scum" to block the ads that I paid to get you to take away in the first place.

Even if I didn't pay premium though, I'd continue to do whatever the hell I damn well please with my computer, thank you very much. Thankfully the Internet is not (yet) a DRMed platform where content moguls can force unwanted advertisements down your throat; the freedom we have to decide what content we want to see (and waste our bandwidth on, because many of us are capped due to the same aforementioned content moguls) is in the hands of the users.

You'd think a site that promotes an operating system driven by free culture would understand the importance of allowing users the freedom to choose to opt out of shit like this. And frankly, even on a good day when you don't have full-screen HP ads, the remainder of the ads on this site are still extremely damn annoying.

How's that for a cuss-filled rant, Mike? Grow up, seriously.

Comment

Adblock Logic

There's some truth in that...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Michael, I will disable AdBlock for your website on one condition - you promise that there will be no Flash ads.
              Ditto

Flash ads suck up bandwidth and system resources and Michael should be reminded not everyone has a broadband connection. Many a time a page filled with Flash ads has managed to crash my browser..NOT a good thing if a site wants to keep the goodwill of visitors and members.

Also ads within articles should be small and static and not breaking up the flow of the articles.

Comment

I don't know what you are talking about. By the time one of those ads loads over my dial up line I've already shut down the computer, left the house, and am half way to the office
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by adblockplususer View Post
                  I am an Ad block Plus user and will never disable it for the sake of your site. The tracking that ad-serving companies do is unacceptable to me and to anyone who understands the ridiculous invasion of privacy involved.
                  QUOTE.

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                  I'm a premium user who has to visit the main page in order to click "Forums" so I can login every 15 minutes, so you're damn right I'm going to use AdBlock or other "scum" to block the ads that I paid to get you to take away in the first place.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I don't know what you are talking about. By the time one of those ads loads over my dial up line I've already shut down the computer, left the house, and am half way to the office
                  QUOTE (when I am connected with gprs)

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                  Is premium fixed yet?
                  NO!
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                    I'd continue to do whatever the hell I damn well please with my computer, thank you very much. Thankfully the Internet is not (yet) a DRMed platform where content moguls can force unwanted advertisements down your throat; the freedom we have to decide what content we want to see (and waste our bandwidth on, because many of us are capped due to the same aforementioned content moguls) is in the hands of the users.

You'd think a site that promotes an operating system driven by free culture would understand the importance of allowing users the freedom to choose to opt out of shit like this. And frankly, even on a good day when you don't have full-screen HP ads, the remainder of the ads on this site are still extremely damn annoying.

How's that for a cuss-filled rant, Mike? Grow up, seriously.
                    That. Seconded.

Comment

Mark my words, HP is now a crappy company running by a crappy bitch CEO, it is going to fall very soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X