No announcement yet.

That Piece Of Crap Hewlett-Packard Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually have some constructive criticism in this debate, too. How about you make the premium programme actually worth something?

For example, I can imagine a similar model to lwn. All your benchmark articles will be available to premium users right away, but other users or guests have to wait a week until the article is available to them. This wouldn't make much sense with the shorter news items, as they're largely irrelevant after a week, but I think it could be useful with the benchmarks. Of course, you have to combine this feature with a friendly site wide login system, but I'm sure you're more than capable of implementing one.

Then, the people who really care about benchmarks would actually have a good reason to pay $10 for a three months subscription, which is really not a lot. And they'd be actually getting something out of it. For me, as I wrote before, this would be irrelevant as I'm not interested in benchmarks, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are enough users willing to pay. The users who don't care would have the added plus that they don't have to use adblock here as there would be no ads, if this works.

I believe websites should be ad free and users shouldn't depend on installing software to block ads. The main reason for this is that I want to be able to surf a site from everywhere and with anything, and not just from my personal computer using my browser.

Another idea is to maybe make the premium programme a bit more flexible. Instead of asking for $10 three months, let users set their price. The Humble Indie Bundles have served to prove that in such a situation, there are more than enough people willing to donate enough (and we're looking at a much lower, albeit monthly, average of $3+1/3 dollars).
    Last edited by susikala; 16 September 2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Or, you do it like Slashdot; reward users with the option of disabling ads if they contribute to the site.

This could be submitting a lot of news that gets approved, helping moderation, participate it automated benchmarking, etc...

Then Phoronix will naturaly increase coverage and allows you to work on different areas as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
        ...Also, you don't get money by having your ads load, you get money from clicks....
        Wrong. I'm paid on most ads for them simply loading.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
          I actually have some constructive criticism in this debate, too. How about you make the premium programme actually worth something?

For example, I can imagine a similar model to lwn. All your benchmark articles will be available to premium users right away, but other users or guests have to wait a week until the article is available to them. This wouldn't make much sense with the shorter news items, as they're largely irrelevant after a week, but I think it could be useful with the benchmarks. Of course, you have to combine this feature with a friendly site wide login system, but I'm sure you're more than capable of implementing one.

Then, the people who really care about benchmarks would actually have a good reason to pay $10 for a three months subscription, which is really not a lot.
          I hate LWN model. I am ok to watch Ads if I can read articles. I'm very very thankful to Michael for not setting people like me to wait several weeks, but instead we can discuss too. Currently I can't afford premium in long term. I'm OK with that.
          Cause with your model, you will be paying anyway - either read article now and watch Ads; or read article when its totally outdated and has no sense.
          If you don't want Ads - go subscribe premium please. Go now, ok? Or see you in a week?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Wrong. I'm paid on most ads for them simply loading.
            was asking about that, no answer,
            if its true, i will unblock adds here.
            but need to be sure, i want to support phoronix in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              I hate LWN model. I am ok to watch Ads if I can read articles. I'm very very thankful to Michael for not setting people like me to wait several weeks, but instead we can discuss too. Currently I can't afford premium in long term. I'm OK with that.
              Cause with your model, you will be paying anyway - either read article now and watch Ads; or read article when its totally outdated and has no sense.
              If you don't want Ads - go subscribe premium please. Go now, ok? Or see you in a week?
              Do you even read a post before you reply to it, or do you just like to troll around?

Since when do hardware or software benchmarks become outdated in a week? I would be really pressed to not ever buy any new hardware if that were the case. Hardware benchmarks can hardly be invalidated in a week, and software benchmarks, even if you're doing it against the latest git commit, have the same relevancy even after a week.

I didn't write several weeks, I wrote a week, which is an adjustable, but very logical timeframe for benchmark results. With my model, you won't be paying any way, but only under a condition. Either you get to read the latest benchmarks when they come out, i.e. now, or you use your patience a bit (given you're actually interested but don't want to pay), and read them somewhat later (where they obviously still have sense). And _everyone_ enjoys a sterile site.

I mean, aren't you guys willing to put your money where your mouths are? If you think those benchmarks are so important, then $10 for three months are a small sum. If not, then maybe ads are really the only solution here, since those benchmarks aren't that important to you.

Would you consciously have sex without a condom? That's surfing the web without adblock and flashblock enabled for me. You never know what crap you may be exposed to.
              Last edited by susikala; 16 September 2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Do you even read a post before you reply to it, or do you just like to troll around?

Since when do hardware or software benchmarks become outdated in a week? I would be really pressed to not ever buy any new hardware if that were the case. Hardware benchmarks can hardly be invalidated in a week, and software benchmarks, even if you're doing it against the latest git commit, have the same relevancy even after a week.

I didn't write several weeks, I wrote a week, which is an adjustable, but very logical timeframe for benchmark results. With my model, you won't be paying any way, but only under a condition. Either you get to read the latest benchmarks when they come out, i.e. now, or you use your patience a bit (given you're actually interested but don't want to pay), and read them somewhat later (where they obviously still have sense). And _everyone_ enjoys a sterile site.
                If I want sterile site, I turn on adblock. Solved.
                If I want to support the site, I turn it off. Solved.
                If I have money, I buy premium subscription. Solved.

You want to block information to people that may not have the money to pay for its access for a week. Fine, go read LWN and stay there please.

I mean, aren't you guys willing to put your money where your mouths are? If you think those benchmarks are so important, then $10 for three months are a small sum. If not, then maybe ads are really the only solution here, since those benchmarks aren't that important to you.

Would you consciously have sex without a condom? That's surfing the web without adblock and flashblock enabled for me. You never know what crap you may be exposed to.
                If you have 10$ pro month on free basis, can you please make me premium subscription for say several years? Cause I?m not into sneak peak and know value of this project.
                If Ads are not a solution for you - go buy premium. Because according to your logic, watching with 4-5 Ads is worser than having to wait one to several weeks, miss ability to share thoughts, miss ability to read discussion. In general be second sort person.
                Ever thought why they block access for 1 week? Because the information will loose its significance, means you either go premium or go elsewhere - you hear about it on other site anyway.
                Here, if you are unable to support the site, you can do something which is legal and which will help the site and hence you gain access. Watching ads. No one is forcing you to(yet - I hope Michael is sane on not overdoing this adblock war). Internet is full of useless Ads, and thats why people use Ad blockers to cut them. But on the sites they want to support, there is no problem to add an exception rule.
                Wait there is more: because a lot of people will want information, but will have no means to access it, many sites might pick off and republish the info. Phoronix going against other sites, because they copied intellectual property. ... Wait!
                Last edited by crazycheese; 16 September 2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  If I want sterile site, I turn on adblock. Solved.
                  If I want to support the site, I turn it off. Solved.
                  If I have money, I buy premium subscription. Solved.

If you have 10$ pro month on free basis, can you please make me premium subscription for say several years? Cause I?m not into sneak peak and know value of this project.
                  If Ads are not a solution for you - go buy premium. Because according to your logic, watching with 4-5 Ads is worser than having to wait one to several weeks, miss ability to share thoughts, miss ability to read discussion. In general be second sort person.
                  Ever thought why they block access for 1 week? Because the information will loose its significance, means you either go premium or go elsewhere - you hear about it on other site anyway.
                  Here, if you are unable to support the site, you can do something which is legal and which will help the site and hence you gain access. Watching ads. No one is forcing you to(yet - I hope Michael is sane on not overdoing this adblock war). Internet is full of useless Ads, and thats why people use Ad blockers to cut them. But on the sites they want to support, there is no problem to add an exception rule.
                  Wait there is more: because a lot of people will want information, but will have no means to access it, many sites might pick off and republish the info. Phoronix going against other sites, because they copied intellectual property. ... Wait!
                  You're completely ignoring my arguments. I'm talking about adfree accessibility for everyone for all content that's relevant immediately. You know, accessibility regardless of browser or operating system. For content that has a loose timely relevance, there would be a timely buffer to actually justify the premium programme, which is right now a pointless excuse to not use the word 'donation' (most premium users here even admit they still use adblock because it's the most comfortable).

Websites using this model block access for one week not because the information will lose its significance (I read lwn articles, and they are still relevant after a week; same for crunchyroll videos), but because there are enough people who care enough to get the content right away to pay.

Ads are a sick culture. By 'supporting' the sites according to your way, you support a sick culture. By using ad block, you diminish this distorted approach and maybe even cause some site owners to rethink their model. Wikipedia has proven that projects can work on donations and work well. There's the lwn model, and there are others, too. There's no reason a good compromise between content distribution and income could not be reached here, as well.

Comment

Wow, such a lengthy discussion about something so trivial. You can discuss all you like, but... Phoronix is a commercial enterprise, those over the top ads sprinkled all over phoronix are part of its business model. Fat chance they will ever disappear. If you don't like these adds, either don't visit this site or simply install an ad blocker. Yes that's right there's nothing wrong with using an ad blocker, just as there's nothing wrong with going to the toilet during a commercial break on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
                      was asking about that, no answer,
                      if its true, i will unblock adds here.
                      but need to be sure, i want to support phoronix in any way.
                      Yep it's true - largely paid for impressions,
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X