Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Wine 1.3.28: Fun With DirectDraw/OpenGL, VBScript

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default Wine 1.3.28: Fun With DirectDraw/OpenGL, VBScript

    Phoronix: Wine 1.3.28: Fun With DirectDraw/OpenGL, VBScript

    Wine 1.3.27 brought Direct3D multi-sampling support and other features just two weeks ago, but it's been replaced today by Wine 1.3.28. There's some exciting changes in this release too with DirectDraw now defaulting to the OpenGL renderer, an initial version of the VBScript parser, and other changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg5Mw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Any benchmarks? Before and after benchmarks especially.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    701

    Default While you are at it...

    Can you write article about how this Wine testing look like?
    What is done? How i done? And maybe examplary tests.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    wine is a awesome pice of software!...

    and wine also beats nativ linux programm versions...

    i get 3-4 more fps in hon with better graphic if i use wine...

    also firefox is faster in wine as nativ.. and so one.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Wine 1.3.28: Fun With DirectDraw/OpenGL, VBScript

    Wine 1.3.27 brought Direct3D multi-sampling support and other features just two weeks ago, but it's been replaced today by Wine 1.3.28. There's some exciting changes in this release too with DirectDraw now defaulting to the OpenGL renderer, an initial version of the VBScript parser, and other changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg5Mw
    What was the DirectDraw default render before the change to OpenGL?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    wine is a awesome pice of software!...

    and wine also beats nativ linux programm versions...

    i get 3-4 more fps in hon with better graphic if i use wine...

    also firefox is faster in wine as nativ.. and so one.
    Sometimes, programs run faster on Linux using WINE than they run on Windows. It depends on the program. I cannot comment on HoN, but in the case of Firefox, Mozilla has intentionally made the Linux version slower because if they need to choose a platform to make a new feature function, they choose Windows. Linux, Mac OS X and every other UNIX OS comes second in terms of getting the latest improvements.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    I cannot comment on HoN, but in the case of Firefox, Mozilla has intentionally made the Linux version slower
    [citation needed]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    but in the case of Firefox, Mozilla has intentionally made the Linux version slower because if they need to choose a platform to make a new feature function, they choose Windows. Linux, Mac OS X and every other UNIX OS comes second in terms of getting the latest improvements.
    you are wrong because even without gpu acceleration the windows firefox is faster in wine!

    thats because the compiler settings for the windows version a tweaked and very aggressive and the Linux version is compiled by the distro with slow settings.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee. FL
    Posts
    127

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    [citation needed]
    The build systems disable tracemonkey and profile guided optimization. I thought that this was common knowledge among Linux users. You can google it if you somehow don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    you are wrong because even without gpu acceleration the windows firefox is faster in wine!

    thats because the compiler settings for the windows version a tweaked and very aggressive and the Linux version is compiled by the distro with slow settings.
    I was not talking about "GPU acceleration". You are half right about the compiler settings, but it is because profile guided optimization is not being done. There is very little in terms of compiler flag tweaking that can be done to make firefox significantly faster. The speed is limited by asymptotics. Tracemonkey falls into that category.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,176

    Default Firefox 6 enabled PGO optimizations

    And tracemonkey has always been enabled, afaik.

    However, you are correct that often optimizations are first done for Windows, then ported to OSX and Linux when time is available. Sometimes that never happens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •