Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any hope for Xv improvements (especially the scaler & picture quality)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hope for Xv improvements (especially the scaler & picture quality)?

I'm only interested in 2D & video playback performance for my ATI card (HD2600XT on OpenSuse 10.3 on an AMD 690G board) for use in my HTPC.

The Xv support from 8.42 leaves much to be desired, to say the least... The Xv scaler is still not fixed (blocky edges/images when video window blown 2x, 3x, fullscreen) and the picture quality is not that great. Still have intermittent lockups and overlay corruption when switching mplayer to view other video files.

Come on AMD/ATI...

Originally posted by gamer101 View Post
    I'm only interested in 2D & video playback performance for my ATI card (HD2600XT on OpenSuse 10.3 on an AMD 690G board) for use in my HTPC.

The Xv support from 8.42 leaves much to be desired, to say the least... The Xv scaler is still not fixed (blocky edges/images when video window blown 2x, 3x, fullscreen) and the picture quality is not that great. Still have intermittent lockups and overlay corruption when switching mplayer to view other video files.

Come on AMD/ATI...
    Don't count on it. I've had the same problems for over six months with fglrx, and Xv nearly always crashes the X-server. AMD/ATI must be losing customers at breakneck speed with their crappy drivers.

SIX MONTHS+ and still the SAME bugs. What an absolute joke.

Comment

Use drivers <= 8.40 and use Xgl to play video in Xv mode gives good results (except for the tearing, which is a Xgl v-sync problem)

AFAIK, 8.41 & 8.42 don't have a working X-video function, the blocky edges means its using software scaler (no bi-linear filtering, just point sampling) and enable Xgl in those drivers forces Xv to use software renderer, which is slow like an ass and drags the responsiveness of the whole system down.

Comment

Does the 8.40 driver support the HD2xxx cards?

Comment

nope

sorry I missed the "HD2600" part of the post.......

Comment

Originally posted by gamer101 View Post
            I use mplayer with gl2 output (X1600 with 8.40 for now). It works quite fine without tearing on the DVI output (VGA output has tearing though).

HTH

Comment

Working...
            X