No announcement yet.

Longene: The Linux Kernel With Windows Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is absoletely useless and totally wasted. We have an open source NT implementation goin on, capable of running Posix stuff and Windows stuff on Linux and other Posix OSs.

That said; why would anyone want to run that shit, instead of Wine or ReactOS? Nobody.

I have a soft spot in my heart for many not succesfull OSs, but this shit can go straight to the garbage bin because it's absolutely braindead.

Comment

Originally posted by demonkoryu View Post
      MS won't go away. Their market is primarily in the enterprise, were you won't find many people filling SAP forms using a mobile device.
      The enterprise market isn't exactly enamored with Windows' cost and security liabilities and many companies are moving to web-based apps where their desktops no longer need to run Windows. I've seen a bunch of corporate IT people posting on the web about how much they want to get away from Windows and how that will allow them to do it.

Nor is it a good place for a company that wants to make money by selling upgrades every two years, since most companies skipped Vista entirely and will probably skip Windows 8 as well.

Interestingly I was reading a thread yesterday by some Microsoft employees bemoaning the fact that Microsoft had stagnated in the consumer market while concentrating on enterprise and hence had nothing to compete in the emerging markets like phones and tablets.

Comment

Reminds me of a dream I had

This particular project looks like it would need a great deal more developers and community support to really get anywhere, but it reminded me of something kinda funny. Last week I dreamed that Google bought Microsoft for $8 billion. Even in the dream I was shocked because that's less than Motorola Mobility cost. After that, Larry Page announced their plan was to release Windows 8 the way it is, because it's too late in the cycle, but rebase Windows 9 on the Linux kernel, implement the API and other things needed for full compatibility while keeping most of the secure underlying framework intact, and adding the rest of the Windows experience as an optional (but default) desktop environment alongside Gnome and KDE etc. I woke up and thought, of all the ways the Year of the Linux Desktop could happen, that would be the weirdest.
        -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DEmmons View Post
          Last week I dreamed that Google bought Microsoft for $8 billion.
          Seriously? Of all the things in the world, you think that's threatening?!

What has this world become?

Comment

Originally posted by DEmmons View Post
            This particular project looks like it would need a great deal more developers and community support to really get anywhere, but it reminded me of something kinda funny. Last week I dreamed that Google bought Microsoft for $8 billion. Even in the dream I was shocked because that's less than Motorola Mobility cost. After that, Larry Page announced their plan was to release Windows 8 the way it is, because it's too late in the cycle, but rebase Windows 9 on the Linux kernel, implement the API and other things needed for full compatibility while keeping most of the secure underlying framework intact, and adding the rest of the Windows experience as an optional (but default) desktop environment alongside Gnome and KDE etc. I woke up and thought, of all the ways the Year of the Linux Desktop could happen, that would be the weirdest.
            -Dan
            I predict similar things to happen in the future too. Basically both mobile platforms use a *nix type platform. Both are shooting ahead much faster than Moore's law... We have 1.4ghz duel core, tegra 2 phones that are like computers from 5 to 6 years ago. Does that mean in one year, we will have quad core phones with GPU's fast enough to play most current console games? I completely believe so! if Steam is released onto the Linux platform, and ESPECIALLY the mobile phone platform (android?) we will see a surge of games move towards Linux. This will take a huge blow in the M$ camp. I don't want to see Microsoft go down the gurgler (toilet), but unless they do something smart soon, they're going to have to start playing catch-up!

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Seriously? Of all the things in the world, you think that's threatening?!

What has this world become?
              haha, threatening? it was a goofy dream, this morning dreamed I was a survivor of a Zombie apocalypse and found an incredibly light prototype Linux netbook with a touchscreen in an abandoned building, and was sad that there would be no new innovations like that because of the Zombies. It's probably unhealthy how many of my dreams incorporate Linux, but no, I don't think MS is going to die this decade.

Comment

Working...
              X