Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would care about this benchmark more if it could be reproduced across the proprietary drivers and across different hardware. If all this demonstrates is that the proprietary Nvidia driver performs better on BSD with this specific video card then my degree of caring is next to zero.

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
    Your assumption is like that of a Marxist, that work and value are inseparable.
    It isn't a wrong assumption, only a narrow one-dimensional one. Gentoo ought to be fastest if done properly. Without a doubt, Phoronix would fubar any benchmark involving Gentoo so I wouldn't bother.

On that note... why bother giving the GCC version? Are they implying that the packages were built using the same toolchains as those installed on each system, and using similar options? I mean... they could have been, but that's hardly a given. Not that this would account for the differences here. Just sayin'

Comment

FreeBSD vs Linux or Unity vs KDE?

FreeBSD vs Linux or Unity vs KDE?

Here's a comparison with some previous phoronix benchmarks of Desktop Environments.

Notice the performance difference between KDE and Unity when using the NVidia driver and the similarities between the FreeBSD vs Linux results. I know enough. You just benchmarked Unity vs KDE again. And you prove again that the Nvidia driver performs best with KDE.

Comment

The labels in the new png graphs overlap:

Comment

Why Ubuntu and not any other distro?
          I don't care which one, but not Ubuntu, please.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            You just benchmarked Unity vs KDE again.
            More precisely, he benchmarked [...] in composited and/(vs) uncomposited environment. LSS, another waste of time.

And you prove again that the Nvidia driver performs best with KDE.
            He proved nothing. http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...562#post211562

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              The labels in the new png graphs overlap:

No they don't. Are you using opera? See

Chromium shows them fine. Check that this test runs correct in your browser.

Comment

I find I get smoother performance on Linux using the low-latency version of the kernel.
                (

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
                  Why Ubuntu and not any other distro?
                  I don't care which one, but not Ubuntu, please.
                  That's mainly because it's easy to install and run as a baseline, and say what you will, but it's one of the most (if not the most) popular out there. If he had more time, he'd run other distros, and actually occasionally does, so people can see what difference it makes. I should make it clear that I really don't like Ubuntu (personal taste only - it just doesn't click with me), but I can understand it being used.
                  As a result of this, I personally think that the headline was a little misleading; yes, Ubuntu is popular, but Ubuntu and GNU/Linux are not interchangeable terms. There were some other flaws (the whole unity vs kde thing) here too, though that's not normally the case.

Comment

Notice the performance difference between KDE and Unity when using the NVidia driver and the similarities between the FreeBSD vs Linux results. I know enough. You just benchmarked Unity vs KDE again. And you prove again that the Nvidia driver performs best with KDE.
                    Brilliant !
                    It's worth an erratum

I was going to say something about PAE, in 386 mode you only use 3299MB, whereas with ubuntu pae kernel is used with full 4096MB.
                    So I was curious about freebsd supporting pae, and it does, simply by editing a config file : http://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr/books/...ig-config.html

By the way the system config svg is pretty much cropped on the right with Firefox 6 and Chromium 13 in Linux and no scrollbars this time

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                      No they don't. Are you using opera? See

Chromium shows them fine. Check that this test runs correct in your browser.
                      Please read my post again. png. Yes I have read that thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X