Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Is Likely To Use The V8 JavaScript Engine

Phoronix: Qt Is Likely To Use The V8 JavaScript Engine

It looks like with Qt 5.0, V8 will become the JavaScript Engine for the Qt tool-kit as well as for Qt Script and Qt Quick...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know this has been in the works for a while. Good stuff. The only downside to v8 versus mozilla's engine is they tend to be a bit more conservative about features. v8 doesn't have all the fancy JavaScript 2 stuff like the nice Python-like iterators and such. Decent ES5 support though so I can't complain. It'll be a step up from the current javascriptcore.

I've gotta say I'm more looking forward to the updated Qt-webkit in Qt 4.8 than I am to the v8 engine. The current Qt-webkit is really showing it's age. (It was forked from mainline Webkit years ago and never updated.)

Comment

You finally mentioned me after all the news submits I did :-) thank you!

Comment

Qt 5 is not likely to use V8, Qt 5 is already using V8

It was announced at the Qt Contributor Summit that they will fork V8 for Qt 5. QtWebKit still uses JavaScriptCore at the moment, QML/QtQuick already uses V8 in the Qt5 repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikipou View Post
          Qt 5 is not likely to use V8, Qt 5 is already using V8

It was announced at the Qt Contributor Summit that they will fork V8 for Qt 5. QtWebKit still uses JavaScriptCore at the moment, QML/QtQuick already uses V8 in the Qt5 repositories.
          A blog post about that on Qt labs would have been nice...

Comment

I have seen the future

While V8 is fast, Chromium crashes with wild abandon on my 32-bit installations of Kubuntu and with annoying frequency on the 64's. Rekonq, which uses WebKit, but a different JS engine I believe, is a rock. Throw multiple windows with multiple tabs all loading at once its way and it just purrs along.

Of course, making it all better on Chromium is a cutesy, Star Trek-inspired, "He's dead, Jim" failure alert. I wonder if that will become par for the course for KDE users?
            Last edited by Rambo Tribble; 07 September 2011, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo Tribble View Post
              While V8 is fast, Chromium crashes with wild abandon on my 32-bit installations of Kubuntu and with annoying frequency on the 64's.
              I've seen JavaScript-heavy (used for auto-updating the content etc.) pages crash in Chromium if you leave them open for several days, but not all that often. (But I don't use Chromium much?it's not ready for the workload I throw at Firefox...)

Comment

Working...
              X