Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD, please give us EGL or decent direct rendering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It's driving me away from the forums, I guess that's somewhere

1. Default for latest KWin is direct rendering & GL 2 backend, but performance is poor with texture-from-pixmap operations so KWin defaults to indirect rendering

2. fglrx appears to only expose GL 1.1 support (eg no GLSL) when running indirect so KWin forced to use legacy GL 1 back end and certain effects are not available.
    2 isn't a surprise, GLX protocol has never been specified for GL2.0, esp the shader extensions.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
      2 isn't a surprise, GLX protocol has never been specified for GL2.0, esp the shader extensions.
      Yeah, that's what I was wondering about (wasn't sure either way)... thanks.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Most people here are complaining about KWin 4.7+, but I think it affects Gnome Shell just as much if not more. I don't think they have a fallback for fglrx like KWin does, and they just disable compositing completely. (not sure about that).
        My (casual) understanding was that with Gnome Shell the issue was graphical corruption, but maybe there are other issues as well ?

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Have all the devs basically given up on power management in the OSS drivers? Or is there a plan to return to that after they've finished working on other tasks? That seems to be the #1 blocker to using the OSS drivers now, with people complaining about power use and loud fans when running full speed and performance at the low power settings.
        There doesn't seem to be much community interest so we may have to give it another push ourselves. Seems like some kind of "fake mid" profile would be a good next step.
        Test signature

Comment

My (casual) understanding was that with Gnome Shell the issue was graphical corruption, but maybe there are other issues as well ?
          Yes, the Gnome 3 shell does have graphical Corruption on the Upper bar that causes text to become unreadable.

There doesn't seem to be much community interest so we may have to give it another push ourselves. Seems like some kind of "fake mid" profile would be a good next step.
          A "fake mid" profile could simply be adding the gpu speed control code into the open drivers. However, from this it'd be set the gpu at about 50% of it rated max speed.

Anyways, There is two major features that i can see that would be useful to have as xorg extensions. The first extension is to improve Multi-Monitor configuration hotplug support within the xserver. The only reason i state this is that this is a major feature for mobile users. I personally find myself using three main modes. Built-In display, HDMI Output only, and then Both. As for both, it'd be nice to be able to change from Display Spanning ( Big Desktop ) to Multi-Desktop Setup ( Separate Desktops ) without having to reboot in any fashion. The other extension is about Multi-GPU support improvements. After all, it'd be nice to switch graphics card configurations without having to restart the xserver. A a good example of this is to go from the Integrated Graphics (Intel, or Low end Radeon) to a dedicated GPU. This is also a major focus on Mobile users, however it probably will find some use for desktop and workstation users also.

Comment

Decent direct rendering just arrived: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...x86.x86_64.zip
            Check this with KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1 - almost 60 fps!

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Decent direct rendering just arrived: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...x86.x86_64.zip
              Check this with KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1 - almost 60 fps!

Stupid Watermark...

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                Stupid Watermark...
                Don't worry about watermark, it's easy to fix. Put two files to /etc/ati.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Don't worry about watermark, it's easy to fix. Put two files to /etc/ati.

Thank you! It worked!

Comment

Seems like new driver contain EGL and GLES support out of the box.

Comment

Working...
                    X