Ati Driver 8.42 + Mandriva 2008 = Unsolved problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osado View Post
    DarkFoss, did you manage to get compiz working?

I extracted the files from the installer (./ati...run --extract (directory)), then I tinkered with some scripts and the ati.spec, and managed to build the packages.

Once installed, it seems that the driver load OK, then I've tinkered with xorg to enable AIGLX and so, but I can't get neither Compiz nor xgl working.

Instead, I have an error already reported here, but referred to SUSE. The solution suggested is not applicable to Mandriva, because SUSE uses different files.

As a clue for other people, when rpmbuild is executed, show errors about duplicated files. This is due to (in %files in the spec file):
    -One line refers to a directory
    -Then other line refers to a file deeper in the same directory indicated in other previous line.
    Then rpmbuild says that a file is found more than once.

Regards
    Osado
    Grats on tinkering with the files to get the rpm's to build..Thats a bit beyond my scope

Obiwan did the same and and posted about it in this thread
    Perhaps his solution will work for you..

There are new packages of compiz-fusion in backports for 2008

It seems not all the packages were updated to 0.6.2-2 if you do a search in the MCC for compiz you'll see some of the packages sporting 0.6.0-1..compiz-bcop and compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    compiz-fusion main plugins was just updated to 0.6.2-2 this am for example.
    Also emerald is still at 0.5.2-2.

I just booted into compiz everything runs smoother with ATI's new 8.43 drivers and compiz 0.6.2-2..I just played a quick round of Ut2k4 very smooth vid playback was ok with both mplayer and vlc..firefox scrolling is still slower but not as bad as it was with the older compiz..

I'm just using the default compiz-decorator-kde - Version: 0.6.2-2mdv2008.0
    I don't have a lot off extra's enabled since I've never really played with compiz.
    the water effects do work I haven't tried fire yet.
    Last edited by DarkFoss; 28 October 2007, 12:17 PM.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Does anyone knows if some packages are available in main_backports?
      thx

Comment

AW just said today that they put the rpm's in cooker non-free for further testing before adding them to backports.
        Same thread I linked to in my previous post.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
        Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

I remember when Nvidia always ha the worse windows drivers and I went ATI. Now that I wish to switch to Linux I should go Nvidia??? Sheesh! I still like ATI though.

Comment

Working...
          X