Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Intel Stalling Or Dropping Its Support Of MeeGo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Intel Stalling Or Dropping Its Support Of MeeGo?

Phoronix: Is Intel Stalling Or Dropping Its Support Of MeeGo?

There's been much news generated this morning concerning a report that Intel may be backing off of their support for MeeGo. I've received several emails about it, IRC messages, etc. However, I've tried to resist writing about it, as from my initial communications with various stakeholders and others, it appears that the report is largely bullshit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meego died when Nokia abandoned it's Linux aspirations. It's sad and unfortunate, but that's how life works out. I wish it was different.

Now it is just kinda going along in zombie mode with people refusing to believe it has no future. Intel would do them a favor by publicly announcing they are killing all support.

Comment

I'm with Michael on this one (although the article was a little extreme...), there is no point in dropping a perfectly fine OS, especially when they already have around 5 MeeGo tablets shown off in several expos. And MeeGo definitely has future, because it's a free and open OS without the restrictions of Android (not even talking about WP7 here). Not to mention that so far it's the best x86 OS specifically made for tablet PCs (and Intel themselves are primarily manufacturers of x86 architecture computers). The fact that Nokia dropped it means that it could have slower progress, that's all. Plus, their last (and only?) MeeGo phone seems to be a huge success anyway.

Comment

Another Microkia propaganda ?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Plus, their last (and only?) MeeGo phone seems to be a huge success anyway.
          N9 was received with enthusiasm when announced (and rightfully so), but has it been actually released anywhere yet? It will not be released in US or UK (among other big markets) and the latest news I've seen, was a release announcement for $850 in Australia (very expensive). So, where are you getting this "huge success" status from?

Comment

Digitimes makes more "interesting" claims regarding Intel: http://semiaccurate.com/2011/09/01/i...are-laughable/
            Maybe they know something that nobody else knows, or (as Charlie from SemiAccurate suggests) they have reasons to publish false information.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
              Meego died when Nokia abandoned it's Linux aspirations. It's sad and unfortunate, but that's how life works out. I wish it was different.

Now it is just kinda going along in zombie mode with people refusing to believe it has no future. Intel would do them a favor by publicly announcing they are killing all support.
              That's been my opinion as well, for the most part, but I hope we're wrong. Moblin was a great idea and should've been a really nice touch interface. If that had really been given a bit more support and they had actually gotten some of the embedded people involved (ESPECIALLY car manufacturers) it could've been the embedded version of android except better. Once it became Meego I kinda felt like parties involved lost interest.
              Too bad, but the world is filled with these sorts of projects.

Comment

What I like about MeeGo is that's it's a lot closer to a PC, it uses Qt, Wayland, that is the best parts of a PC OS, rather than an updated phone OS which is Android. Afaik with MeeGo you can use C/C++ directly, rather than getting access to C/C++ "as a bonus" sometime later as is the case with Android.
                So I'm with Michael here. But what we really want is for Intel itself to comment on these rumors.

The fact that Nokia jumped off doesn't really matter - Intel hired the most important devs, plus the bulk of the code (the Linux kernel etc) are done by the community anyway.

Comment

intel is a large and good company. all their drivers are open sourced or almost.
                  I don't see what would be wrong with Meego, except others seeing danger, as none of the other mobile OS will go the true open-source way, except for Meego.
                  If intel ever release a chip that actually beats ARM *and* has Meego, they might win quite a bit of share, oh and they won't need no big appstore.

Comment

Intel needs some help getting Meego out the door

A well knows fact that Intel has never been very good at doing software and Meego exemplifies this. Intel has thrown a lot of resources at Meego, but really has very little to show for it. I wish the Linux Foundation would pick up the slack and try and market and be a little more vocal about Meego. As the Linux Foundation should be able to measure the pulse of the Linux community and steer Meego out of the corner of oblivion Intel has put it in. I personally like Meego on the netbook it boots very fast and for the most part works as advertised, Only thing is that netbooks are out of fashion. I hope Meego will sharpen its foucs on Tablets. Tough for Meego to make into phones as operators probable do not want to support this OS (Primary reason Nokia gave up on it). I think the one area Meego can thrive in is in embedded devices and vertical markets.

A great marketing thing will be to chang e the name of Meego too

Comment

Working...
                    X