ATI 8.42.3 + openSuSE10.3 x64 = several problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an update on what i've got so far.
    After several uninstalls/installs with few improvements... i did it one more time for the 8.42.3 drivers, following the openSUSE_ATI_HOWTO "hard way".
    But this time i did everything without X, using "init 3" at boot, and rebooting after "cleaning" the previous drivers, after the "aticonfig" command and finally after configuring sax2.

And i've got a lot of improvements:
    1. The info i get from glxinfo and fglrxinfo is the same as before.
    2. fgl_glxgears runs fine now
    3. no desktop corruption (watermark issue) so far (crosses fingers)
    4. Warsow, Nexuiz, Tremulous and the ETQW.demo all run fine
    5. Google earth runs fine.

negatives:
    1. amd catalyst control center still refuses to run:
    HTML Code:
    KTPORTLin:/home/kmz # amdcccle
    amdcccle: xcb_xlib.c:52: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed. Aborted
    2. sax2 still "freezes" when exiting, but this only happens if i start it from init 3... and it doesn't really freeze either, i think it just gets the wrong monitor/card parameters on exit, because i can still type reboot->enter and it works... i can even see a green "blur" while it "works" to reboot.

Haven't tested for suspend to ram/disk ou powerplay settings (Using a X700 mobile here).

Regarding compiz-fusion... i'm still confused a bit about compiz/compiz.fusion/beryl really are or do, or if i just need one etc etc... either way, i installed compiz-fusion 0.6 and followed these instructions here to get it to work, using aiglx.
    It runs fine... the first time. Performance is acceptable i guess, but it could be smother. Resizing windows feels very slow... but now i've confirmed it is the same without even using compiz.
    After rebooting i get a problem with windows decorations - no close/maximize/minimize buttons. There must be some problem with the windows decorator setting.. kde ou emerald. Still looking for info on that, but i don't think it's driver related

regards,
    Carlos

Comment

Just an update on what i've got so far.
      After several uninstalls/installs with few improvements... i did it one more time for the 8.42.3 drivers, following the openSUSE_ATI_HOWTO "hard way".
      But this time i did everything without X, using "init 3" at boot, and rebooting after "cleaning" the previous drivers, after the "aticonfig" command and finally after configuring sax2.

And i've got a lot of improvements:
      1. The info i get from glxinfo and fglrxinfo is the same as before.
      2. fgl_glxgears runs fine now
      3. no desktop corruption (watermark issue) so far (crosses fingers)
      4. Warsow, Nexuiz, Tremulous and the ETQW.demo all run fine
      5. Google earth runs fine.

negatives:
      1. amd catalyst control center still refuses to run:
      HTML Code:
      KTPORTLin:/home/kmz # amdcccle
      amdcccle: xcb_xlib.c:52: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
      Aborted
      2. sax2 still "freezes" when exiting, but this only happens if i start it from init 3... and it doesn't really freeze either, i think it just gets the wrong monitor/card parameters on exit, because i can still type reboot->enter and it works... i can even see a green "blur" while it "works" to reboot.

Haven't tested for suspend to ram/disk ou powerplay settings (Using a X700 mobile here).

Regarding compiz-fusion... i'm still confused a bit about compiz/compiz.fusion/beryl really are or do, or if i just need one etc etc... either way, i installed compiz-fusion 0.6 and followed these instructions here to get it to work, using aiglx.
      It runs fine... the first time. Performance is acceptable i guess, but it could be smother. Resizing windows is very slow... but now i've confirmed it is the same without even using compiz.

After rebooting i get a problem with windows decorations - no close/maximize/minimize buttons. There must be some problem with the windows decorator setting.. kde ou emerald. Still looking for info on that, but i shouldn't be a driver problem.

regards,
      Carlos

Comment

Working...
      X