No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Ideas Are Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope for the use of Btrfs as file system standard.
    Naturally maintain the possibilities to choose differently and going the same with ext4.
    Seem that from Fedora 17 this should be happen so i presume that at that time they finally put a fsck tool for fix automatically eventual problem. I think this is the major real issue that remain.
    So I think perhaps there is enough time for a similar decision even on the future RedHat 7.

Note:
    My love for enterprise file system was born when i installed OpenSolaris, the file system Zfs is the only thing that i miss ...
    Btrfs have feautures comparable, on a certain way, but for the moment isn't ready, but this situation seem should change ...

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNielsen View Post
      I'd love it if they would stop their FUD and shipped Mono with RHEL7. Preferably packaged in a manner more consistent with Upstream (and what debian/Ubuntu does) rather than the backwards Fedora packaging.
      Ubuntu gets rid of mono in 12.04. Mono is dying, so stop whining about trash.

Comment

Also i hope that at that time the file system Btrfs could offer better performance especially on applications as Postgresql where the difference respect the use of ext4 is very huge ...
        A certain difference, 10-15 %, don't really matter because that file system have other big type of advantage, but i like the idea of use an equivalent enterprise linux distro for development and i use mainly postgresql, so if this file system slow me down too much, could be a strong issue.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          If they really believe that the desktop is almost dead, they've got their collective heads up their asses. That's nonsense.
          More accurate to say that desktop _Linux_ is dead. It has failed in every conceivable benchmark for mass market desktop usage for 15 years straight, and does not seem to be moving anywhere quickly in that regard.

Linux has however seen massive success on the mobile front, so wise men will focus their Linux investments there. If you want a great traditional desktop, there is absolutely nothing technically compelling about the cutting edge of Linux compared to the already stale Windows 7 experience (and Windows 8 is around the corner). Unless being free/Free is important for your use case, Linux _is_ dead on the desktop, and always has been despite a decade of people claiming that Linux is "almost there" (often by comparing it to a 15 year old OS like Win95).

Comment

People under estimated the level of inertia for user-level software. Linux doesn't have to be 'just a better OS' then Windows to gain acceptance. It has to be a MASSIVELY better OS.

Which, for desktop purposes, it is certainly not hugely better. It is decidedly worse if you have applications that you want/need that don't run on Linux. The primary purpose of a OS is to run applications. If your applications don't run on a particular OS, then that OS is not going to be a option to you.

Too bad, so sad.

It is terrific for my purposes though. Far better then Windows or even OS X. But I am not a typical user.
            ================================

What I would like to see is continious improvements in FreeIPA.

FreeIPA currently is the easiest and best designed system for setting up Linux as a domain controller. Kerberos, LDAP, Certificate management, and various utilities that integrate well together means that it is the closest thing you can get to Active Directory in the Open Source world.

What I would like to see is things like:

* Properly support AXFR transfers for their LDAP Bind plugin.

* Better integration of Samba 4 so that FreeIPA can be used in conjunction with Windows-land. Active Directory can be used with Linux systems, but FreeIPA cannot be used with Windows systems.

* dconf plugin for LDAP so that Linux desktops/workstations can have equivalents of 'Group Policies'

And probably a few other things like that. Better UI and stuff like that for managing certs. Better DNS support. Stuff like that. Just make it better.

And lower the prices of all that stuff so that at least it's priced close to AD.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              More accurate to say that desktop _Linux_ is dead. It has failed in every conceivable benchmark for mass market desktop usage for 15 years straight, and does not seem to be moving anywhere quickly in that regard.

Linux has however seen massive success on the mobile front, so wise men will focus their Linux investments there. If you want a great traditional desktop, there is absolutely nothing technically compelling about the cutting edge of Linux compared to the already stale Windows 7 experience (and Windows 8 is around the corner). Unless being free/Free is important for your use case, Linux _is_ dead on the desktop, and always has been despite a decade of people claiming that Linux is "almost there" (often by comparing it to a 15 year old OS like Win95).
              Linux is alive on desktop and its popularity is growing. When there will be games available on Linux it will become much more popular than it's now. When comes to technical things we need Wayland. With Wayland, KDE and games there will be no single thing in Windows that will stop me from formating the C: drive.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Linux is alive on desktop and its popularity is growing. When there will be games available on Linux it will become much more popular than it's now. When comes to technical things we need Wayland. With Wayland, KDE and games there will be no single thing in Windows that will stop me from formating the C: drive.
                Games just aren't important enough to me to turn my computer over to rootkit malware from companies like Macrovision and Sony. In return for making Windows a little more like hell, Microsoft turned around and made them Gold Partners.

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
                  either make a free version (like OpenSuse) or point people to CentOS and pay a few people to sit in their IRC. Also, Do they need build servers? Help them with that also. You don't have to supply money just hardware. You can't compete with Ubuntu without doing this. Perhaps you should improve your relationship with ubuntu and SuSE. You have been doing well about pushing kernel updates to source as well as to your clients. Instead of being antagonistic about Ubuntu, you should show appreciation for their support in userland.
                  Ubuntu isn't a competitor with RH, as much as they may wish to be.
                  RH's primary antagonist has got to be Microsoft.
                  Also, they already pay so many of the Fedora developers (certainly more developers than Ubuntu employs) why should they also help out a direct competitor in CentOS? That makes little sense.

Comment

Other two wish:
                    - the inclusion of the package pgAdmin inside the official repository
                    - the inclusion of the package postgresql 9x while maintaining the previous edition with the possibilities to install both on the same system (naturally using different locations).

Comment

I add even:
                      Replace openoffice with liberoffice.

Comment

Working...
                      X