Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Ideas Are Needed

Hybrid View

Default Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Ideas Are Needed

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Ideas Are Needed

Red Hat is beginning to look for feedback and ideas from their enterprise customers about what they would like to see from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, the next major release of their flagship Linux operating system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg1OA

Here is my wishlist:

• Official repositories that rival other distributions in having up to date software and a large variety (e.g. >15,000 packages).
    • The ability to have the package manager recompile installed software with -march=native to take better advantage of the CPU. (e.g. AVX Support)
    • SAMBA 4 so that legacy Windows 7 systems can use RHEL servers as domain login servers.
    • First party support for the installation of Microsoft Office in a multiple user configuration via a compatibility layer (e.g. CrossOver, WINE)
    • An open source flash plugin like what IcedTea is for Java so that legacy software can be used without compromising security.
    • RDP support in KVM-QEMU to enable access to virtual infrastructure from legacy Windows machines on which installing the SPICE client is not always an option.
    • Proper KVM PCIe Passthrough Support so PCI devices behind PCIe-to-PCI bridges will work.
    • The ability to run the KVM SPICE server on a UNIX domain socket.
    • Improvements in the KVM vmware graphics device so that Windows Aero works via the VMWare WDDM 3D Windows driver, both in situations where the host lacks a GPU and in situations where one is installed.
    • Virtualized GPGPU functionality in KVM (e.g. CUDA, OpenCL).
    • Better POSIX support (e.g. implementation of gettid() in libc, proper implementation of UNIX System V syscall codes, etcetera).
    • Better written manpages that explain how signal handling works in conjunction with threads.
    • An IDE for UNIX systems that functions similarly to Microsoft Visual Studio in both performance and ease of use.
    • First party support for alternative compilers such as LLVM/Clang.
    • The ability for system administrators to use GRUB with UEFI systems, without any need for the much more cumbersome GRUB2 (e.g. do the work to push the Fedora UEFI GRUB patches upstream)

I am not a RedHat customer, but I hope that my wishlist will make it to RedHat. I know some organizations that do not use RHEL specifically because of items on my wishlist.
    Last edited by Shining Arcanine; 08-31-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Here is an addendum:

• Generic improvements to power management so that the air conditioners in datacenters do not have to work as hard and the electric bills better correspond to the actual work done.

Proper NFS4 support.
    Legal mp3 and h.264 codecs.
    Stop enabling Lennart Poettering.
    Keep Ulrich Drepper away from the public.

I'd love it if they would stop their FUD and shipped Mono with RHEL7. Preferably packaged in a manner more consistent with Upstream (and what debian/Ubuntu does) rather than the backwards Fedora packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNielsen View Post
    I'd love it if they would stop their FUD and shipped Mono with RHEL7. Preferably packaged in a manner more consistent with Upstream (and what debian/Ubuntu does) rather than the backwards Fedora packaging.
    Ubuntu gets rid of mono in 12.04. Mono is dying, so stop whining about trash.

Also i hope that at that time the file system Btrfs could offer better performance especially on applications as Postgresql where the difference respect the use of ext4 is very huge ...
    A certain difference, 10-15 %, don't really matter because that file system have other big type of advantage, but i like the idea of use an equivalent enterprise linux distro for development and i use mainly postgresql, so if this file system slow me down too much, could be a strong issue.

Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Keep Ulrich Drepper away from the public.
    He's not at Red Hat anymore. He's now at Goldman Sachs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    He's not at Red Hat anymore. He's now at Goldman Sachs.
    Wow. That would certainly appear to be true according to his LinkedIn profile. At first I thought you were joking! A freedom-loving old Linux hand wouldn't jump ship and sell out to the guys who are running our country into the ground, would they?

Would they?

... The answer is apparently "Yes".

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Wow. That would certainly appear to be true according to his LinkedIn profile. At first I thought you were joking! A freedom-loving old Linux hand wouldn't jump ship and sell out to the guys who are running our country into the ground, would they?

Would they?

... The answer is apparently "Yes".
    I sort of figured that he might be helping to orchestrate the next financial meltdown. Time will tell.