No announcement yet.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670 Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Alex is working on advanced power management, so I'm not so deep into it, but
    AFAIK this should be improving in the near future.
    At least its coming

Comment

Greetings,

anything new about this? Did you tried any recent drivers?

I'm running Arch Linux and I can't continue with rolling updates because catalyst doesn't support 4xxx cards no more.
      So I want to move to OSS drivers, but I don't want to get this "overheat feature" again (cause summer is here which means >30 dgs of C. temperatures around).

Comment

There's also the first Catalyst driver from the legacy branch with should support HD4xxx and X server 1.12. Don't know if Arch picks it up though...

Dealing with 2 different drivers for same HW vendor will be a bit of a pain but if they're packaging NVidia drivers (similar legacy model) then they'll already have had to work through that (unless they just package the latest).
        Test signature

Comment

Thank you for your very fast reply.
          I will try the OSS driver at first because it has numerous advantages over binary blob.
          If the problem will persists then I have to switch to legacy branch and stick with it until advanced pm will be implemented in oss drv.
          I think I read something about additional documentation over pm released by AMD.

So maybe in the near future surprises will happen...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            There's also the first Catalyst driver from the legacy branch with should support HD4xxx and X server 1.12. .
            What a glorious fail on a HD4200 frakking with a lovely black screen, on kernel 3.4.x and xorg 1.12.3...

I even dropped the idea of ​​ever use the discrete video card (and I payed for that HD5650), but the reduced battery autonomy from 3:00 to 1:00 (using MID, LOW freezes the screen), make me to huge love the open-source ATI drivers.

To remember that my laptop thinks it's a toaster?

Man, it's incredible that AMD does not implement this PM frakking right! You guys are led by a tribal leader from Central Africa, which has no idea that your graphics cards are just not usable?

I do not want 3D games and, honestly, I had no idea that this laptop has two video cards when I bought it, still I simply want to use my laptop with a decent modern Linux.

You can be sure I will not buy a laptop with Radeon graphics ever, but how do I use this which I am?

Comment

Can you try the Catalyst driver on a supported distro first, maybe start with Ubuntu 12.04 ?

EDIT - I'm guessing you're talking about the Catalyst legacy driver because that's what you quoted, but if I guessed wrong please reply back. I read your post a few times and wasn't sure if you were talking about latest Catalyst, legacy Catalyst or open source drivers.
              Last edited by bridgman; 31 July 2012, 07:08 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Can you try the Catalyst driver on a supported distro first, maybe start with Ubuntu 12.04 ?

EDIT - I'm guessing you're talking about the Catalyst legacy driver because that's what you quoted, but if I guessed wrong please reply back. I read your post a few times and wasn't sure if you were talking about latest Catalyst, legacy Catalyst or open source drivers.
                Yes, I talking about the Catalyst Legacy that epic fail, with no indication of the cause.

And about the lack of PM support of open source drivers.

Finally, I apologize for the words a little hot, but by some days I struggle to make this laptop to work again (with Catalyst). And I failing...
                Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 31 July 2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

but if they're packaging NVidia drivers (similar legacy model) then they'll already have had to work through that (unless they just package the latest).
                  They just package the latest.

And they don't package Catalyst at all. It's up to community repos to provide packages, and also provide packages of older versions of X when Catalyst lags behind in support. But these repos do already contain 12.6-legacy packages.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 31 July 2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Hello, as i know you somehow related to AMD, i have some suggestion : how about make control mem/gpu clock via kernel args(something like radeon_low_profile=n / radeon_mid_profile=n) ? As i can see a lot of people have invalid profiles info and even this temp solution will work for them. Of course with some foolproof.
                    I know i should send suggestions to mailing lists, but i dont know in which one

Comment

Originally posted by sstp View Post
                      Hello, as i know you somehow related to AMD, i have some suggestion : how about make control mem/gpu clock via kernel args(something like radeon_low_profile=n / radeon_mid_profile=n) ? As i can see a lot of people have invalid profiles info and even this temp solution will work for them. Of course with some foolproof.
                      I know i should send suggestions to mailing lists, but i dont know in which one
                      dri-devel handles the kernel-side.

Comment

Working...
                      X