Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Xorg 7.3 install guide

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    39

    Default Xorg 7.3 install guide

    CAn somebody who is successful post a brief guide to build Xorg 7.3.

    I am facing problems dloading from git as i am behind a http proxy requiring authentication.

    I am running FC4 Xorg 6.8.2 kernel 2.6.17 and have my reasons not to upgrade the distro.

    Will 7.3 work with this.

    Thanks any way

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Well folks now i think that since 7.3 is toooo new to install i will make do with 7.2

    i have dloaded the tarballs
    what do i do next.????

  3. #3

    Default

    Have you considered just pointing your yum repos to one from say Fedora 7 and then selectively upgrading all X related packages?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have you considered just pointing your yum repos to one from say Fedora 7 and then selectively upgrading all X related packages?
    are you sure that wont vreate any probs wht soever
    can generaly packages created for fc7 be installed on another Fc (lower versions)

    wont it have higher dependencies


    moreover i wud really like to bbuild X and keep my original as well so that i can switch when necessary

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    .ro/.ca
    Posts
    232

    Default

    See this.

    Short version:
    1. download everything from here
    2. download damageproto 1.1 separately
    3. download latest Mesa3D and unpack it somewhere near
    4. download the build-from-tarballs.sh script
    5. assuming you're installing to /usr/X11R7.3:
    - export PATH=/usr/X11R7.3/bin:$PATH
    - export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11R7.3/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

    6. ./build-from-tarballs.sh -m PATH_TO_MESA -n -bz2 -e /usr/X11R7.3

    That's it.

    EDIT: you may have to modify the script to suit your needs. I added -j8 to make, removed fonts, docs and all the drivers I didn't need.
    Last edited by Xipeos; 10-25-2007 at 11:37 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xipeos View Post
    See this.

    Short version:
    1. download everything from here
    2. download damageproto 1.1 separately
    3. download latest Mesa3D and unpack it somewhere near
    4. download the build-from-tarballs.sh script
    5. assuming you're installing to /usr/X11R7.3:
    - export PATH=/usr/X11R7.3/bin:$PATH
    - export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11R7.3/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

    6. ./build-from-tarballs.sh -m PATH_TO_MESA -n -bz2 -e /usr/X11R7.3

    That's it.

    EDIT: you may have to modify the script to suit your needs. I added -j8 to make, removed fonts, docs and all the drivers I didn't need.
    Ok thanks but a couple of things still linger:-

    1. why do you need to dload damageproto separately.
    2. I have X116.8.2 installed in /usr/X11R6 and i want to use both interghangeably just for the reason that I may end up with some problem in 7.3.
    i) Will running X11R7.3 change my system so that i cant revert back.
    ii) How could i accomplish this.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    .ro/.ca
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIcebreaker View Post
    1. why do you need to dload damageproto separately.
    You need damageproto 1.1.0 to compile, but only 1.0.3 is provided in the 7.3 tree.

    *EDIT: meh this is no longer true, sorry for the false information.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIcebreaker View Post
    2. I have X116.8.2 installed in /usr/X11R6 and i want to use both interghangeably just for the reason that I may end up with some problem in 7.3.
    i) Will running X11R7.3 change my system so that i cant revert back.
    ii) How could i accomplish this.
    Move /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6_old then create a link from 7.3 to R6:
    Code:
    mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6_old&&ln -s /usr/X11R7.3 /usr/X11R6
    Some people intall X11 directly in /usr, but this way it's cleaner and much easier to up/downgrade.

    When you want to go back, simply remove the link and rename X11R6_old to X11R6.
    Last edited by Xipeos; 10-26-2007 at 04:34 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Well the install went well.
    Everything was built except some input drivers and video-glide.
    But as you said i dont need that.

    Problem now is that I tried to install the fglrx driver on the new Xorg after symlinking and all that.
    installer said everything ok.

    But there were no Libfglrx files inside and no aticonfig
    it only copied a dri module in X11R7.3/modules/dri

    but modules are supposed to be in xorg/modules I suppose.
    In the end expectedly the fglrx module did not load and X could not start.
    any ideas.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    .ro/.ca
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIcebreaker View Post
    But there were no Libfglrx files inside and no aticonfig
    it only copied a dri module in X11R7.3/modules/dri
    I can't know for sure, as I don't know how your system is set up. In my experience, the ati installer puts its files in /usr/lib/{dri,xorg} which are symlinks to /usr/X11/lib/{modules/dri,xorg} respectively. You should check that those links are not broken, or the installer will just abandon.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIcebreaker
    but modules are supposed to be in xorg/modules I suppose.
    On my system, only libfglrxdrm.so and fglrx_drv.so are in xorg/modules/{linux,drivers}.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    39

    Default

    are plz give me your ls -R X11R7.3
    I need to verify wat all is missing.


    I dont have many programs in bin like
    1 xterm
    2 glxinfo
    3 glxgears

    etc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •