Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Fan Management Code Published

Phoronix: Nouveau Fan Management Code Published

At long last, if your computer has previously sounded like a jet engine when using the open-source Nouveau driver with your NVIDIA GeForce/Quadro graphics card, there is a solution. Fan management code has now been published by the Nouveau developers to support controlling the graphics card's fan speed when using this in-kernel Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Hopefully this comes with GeForce 400/500 "Fermi" re-clocking support and I will be happy.
    Sorry to disappoint, no Fermi goodness yet...

Just as we needed to write a microcode to setup PGRAPH, we need to write a new one for safe memory reclocking. This microcode will also be used to drive fans on nva3+.

Comment

Great news!

Comment

That's good news. Now if only we had support to control the main fan in most (any?) laptops, that'd be great news.

Comment

Originally posted by hexion View Post
          That's good news. Now if only we had support to control the main fan in most (any?) laptops, that'd be great news.
          I can do that on my laptop, a lenovo r61i.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
            I can do that on my laptop, a lenovo r61i.
            What tool do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by hexion View Post
              What tool do you use?
              Same as nouveau, hwmon. I don't know who wrote the driver but it works good-enough for me.

Try running "$ sensors", you may have some info there. You can also look into /sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/device/

Comment

I haven't yet reviewed the thermal zone patches, and won't be until I get back from holidays. So, I'm not sure what the comment about "up to but not including nva3" refers to.

The code written by me that's behind all of this (and is sitting in nouveau git proper already) supports from nv40 up to and including nvd9 (gf119) using pwm fan control.

I can't say for sure until I review properly, but, the additional patches at gitorious on top of my stuff will probably *not* make it for 3.2. I personally do not consider our knowledge of the area to be enough yet for a reasonable amount of safety. This is all greatly jumping the gun. However, who knows, we shall see

The mechanism side of fan control that's in nouveau git already however, *will* make it. Aside from some nv4x improvements I need to make "just in case" there's a weird card out there, that code should be fairly okay now. Users who want to "risk" it, will have the option to manually lower the speed from 100%.

Forgive any typos, posting from an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                  Same as nouveau, hwmon. I don't know who wrote the driver but it works good-enough for me.

Try running "$ sensors", you may have some info there. You can also look into /sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/device/
                  Thanks for the info! No joy here though.. 'sensors' shows only 2 sensors, none of which displays any fan information, and 'pwmconfig' reports my laptop's motherboard has no pwm-capable sensors.

That's a shame, the laptop is less than 1 year old and relatively noisy (Toshiba Satellite L675-11N)..
                  Last edited by hexion; 30 August 2011, 08:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by darktama View Post
                    The code written by me that's behind all of this (and is sitting in nouveau git proper already) supports from nv40 up to and including nvd9 (gf119) using pwm fan control.
                    Think about PDAEMON

As for whether we should include it in linux 3.2, it seems unlikely indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X