No announcement yet.

ATI 8.42.3 and X800 XT Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone confirm if this is still a problem with the latest 8.44 release? Thanks.

Comment

Yep, the problem still there, and worst, all my 3D game sand screensaver make a hard lock in my PC, still waiting for the next release to test it.

Comment

My x800pro runs fine with any of the last 4 releases no overheating issues..fan runs at normal speed.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
        Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Are you sure??? The latest release do a good job in controlling the Fan, but the overheating still there. I know what Im tell you, I have a Shuttle XPC and the card run cool with the Open Source Driver, but the restricted ATI one, make my card hot, maybe not like before but the problem still there.

Maybe you are lucky enough and your card isn't expecting this issue.

Comment

This is interesting... A little while back, maybe nine months back or so, I had an x800xl where the plastic fan eventually melted to the plastic case around the fan. It had been running fine for well over a year at that point. I always assumed that this was what I got for buying a "powered by ati" card rather than a "made by ati" card.

I've replaced it with an x850, and haven't noticed any problems so far. I'm not sure if that's because this particular bug doesn't apply to the x850 or because this particular card has a massive cooler on it, but now you guys have me worried enough that I've switched back to the open source drivers for the time being.

Comment

You could check/set clock frequencies using rovclock with those old cards.

Comment

Well, whether I use the open source drivers or the fglrx drivers, rovclock reports a core clock speed of 540 MHz and a memory speed of 587.25. As I understand it, the x850 is supposed to be clocked at 540/580. I'm assume the 7 Mhz difference in the memory speed is nothing to worry about.

I'd be interested in seeing the results from those of you whose card is overheating due to fglrx.

kano, thanks for pointing out the existance of rovclock. I never knew about it till this morning :-) I wish I had known about it with the x800 :-)

Adam

Comment

I wrote something about using power saving features on radeons here:

It really helps my case with 1950Pro, but some people said it doesn't work with 1300 or the 2600. I don't know, maybe someone with those cards could modify the tool mentioned in the post to support them.

Comment

Forget it

The problem is still there with 8.1. My fan is as loud as it was during the last year every time i tried the fglrx driver.
                    I'll switch back to the radeon driver.
                    Everyone with this problem: Dont waste your time with giving 8.1 a try. Its as crappy as every month
                    So lets wait for another year or two for this bug to be fixed... Or throw our cards out of the window

Comment

Nashwan, please try the rovclock utility to see if the fglrx drivers are overclocking your card.

Comment

Working...
                      X