Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD fglrx 8.42.3 - When will the baby mature ? - Experiences ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody,
    well same here by using openSUSE 10.3+xorg-7.2+fglrx8.42.3
    worked after reboot, but didn`t work anymore on the morning aafter i boot computer, well i guess/know that there is that one lib.. to much i guess, little bit of laisyness..

Ps sorry about my bad" english

Comment

OK, seems I condemned the driver to early in the other thread. The screen corruption seems to have been triggered by the doom3 demo; the weird thing is that it persisted even over a cold reboot! My other issues were results of incorrect libGL symlinks (slap myself, I should be using linux long enough to be aware of stuff like this).

The only other remaining real issue for now (didn't test aiglx) are the dysfunctionality of driconf, but now that amdcccle works, this is not an issue anymore.

My machine is a Thinpad T60, X1300 mobility, Core Due (NO Core2), gentoo stable, kernel 2.6.20, xorg-server 1.2

Comment

Hardware: mobility x1600 m56 on nc8430
        Distribution: kubuntu 7.10

- XV is still broken, diagonal tearing..I read that you have working xvideo on r5xx series... Are you sure that you are using xv output for mplayer and not x11 -> this one works ok but CPU usage is high...you don't notice that on regular workstation but on notebook fans kick in very quickly -> annoying during watching the movie

- video playback crashed Xserver once
        - "garbage" in lower right, around mouse cursor AND new one, upper left corner
        - DualHead is working now OK for me
        - TV out is not detected any more
        - AIGLX is working, but it is sooooooo slow
        - 3D park is workig OK,i guess... ET:QW is running fine
        - 2D-desktop performance is still worse than with avivo/radeonhd
        - amdcccle crashed few times

mile@ubuntu:~$ amdcccle
        Segmentation fault (core dumped)

(gdb) bt
        #0 0xb7d7d454 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
        #1 0x0007de21 in ?? ()
        #2 0x07383353 in ?? ()
        #3 0xb7f07ff4 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
        #4 0xb7d7b5b0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
        #5 0xb7eb7ac0 in ?? ()
        #6 0xbff6d290 in ?? ()
        #7 0xb7ef9e73 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
        #8 0xb7d7d58a in XRRGetScreenInfo () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
        #9 0x081611df in CDisplayDriver::GetResolutionList()
        #10 0x08187229 in CDisplayRule::GetDriverData ()
        #11 0x08185ec7 in CDisplayRule::Initialize ()
        #12 0x081554fc in CLDC::Initialize ()
        #13 0x08153e04 in main ()

Comment

If you mean Compiz, I used a different repository for Compiz, check out this Debian repository, it only is running Compiz Fusion 0.5.5 right now but it does work, and has all the eye candy: .....
          I have the same rep as you and the same compiz so , testing for me .

It start but all the window decorations are removed..

The most strange thing it is that yerterday before going to bed i managed to launch it once , i saw the beutifull
          logon and then i had all plugions enable but now it is impossible for me to use it anymore ???

Could you post your xorg so i could check

ps : debian/testing ati mobylity radeon hd2400 gnome

Comment

Originally posted by mile View Post
            Are you sure that you are using xv output for mplayer and not x11 -> this one works ok but CPU usage is high...
            In my case I'm pretty sure it's xv. I rarely watch any videos other than youtube but the only movie player I have, totem-xine, is playing movies as usual, and unless 5% cpu usage is high (on a P4), then it should be xv. But like I said, I don't watch many movies. I use more 2d renderings in opengl and vsync is stinky. Why is it that always what you use is what messes up in a driver?

Also, I see a lot of people still using glxgears as some sort of benchmark. The truth is it's all but worthless as a benchmarking tool. It's not meant for that. Very limited if anything. You need to run some 3d games with fps counters for a better relative test at least - or something like that.

Oh and I tried AIGLX and ran beryl. It worked pretty fast. But that's maybe because the background goes black. I disabled AIGLX no, never really used it and hopefully it will improve anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Moronix View Post
              Also, I see a lot of people still using glxgears as some sort of benchmark. The truth is it's all but worthless as a benchmarking tool. It's not meant for that. Very limited if anything. You need to run some 3d games with fps counters for a better relative test at least - or something like that.
              Hey, I would, except that most of the 3d games I have I have to run through wine... and this driver broke that for me. So, glxgears is all I can give.

Comment

@Moronix
                5% is xv for sure, x11 uses more than 50% cpu on my C2D

I don't know which card do you have but r5xx does not have separate hardvare for video playback,it is all "done" with 3D.... I think they realized this was stupid idea and R600 has it again....I am not sure

lets hope ATI won't forget us with r5xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Z1Kenobi View Post
                  I have the same rep as you and the same compiz so , testing for me .

It start but all the window decorations are removed..

The most strange thing it is that yerterday before going to bed i managed to launch it once , i saw the beutifull
                  logon and then i had all plugions enable but now it is impossible for me to use it anymore ???

Could you post your xorg so i could check

ps : debian/testing ati mobylity radeon hd2400 gnome
                  Heres my xorg.conf

Heres a few key things to check on (The things to look for will be in bold text and underlined):

Code:
                  Section "ServerLayout"
                  	Identifier     "Default Layout"
                  	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
                  	InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
                  	InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
                          [B][U]Option "AIGLX" "on"[/U][/B]
                  EndSection
                  [B][U]
                  Section "Extensions"
                          Option  "Composite"  "Enable"
                  EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
                          Option  "AIGLX" "true"
                  EndSection[/U][/B]

Comment

I'm also having firefox scrolling issues but I'm also experiencing Xorg crashes.

I noticed that this doesn't crash anymore so often, perhaps because I dropped desktop cube from compiz. With cube (or two cubes here because of dualhead) it crashed very easily if I had rhythmbox window wider that 2000 pixels.

It's strange how expose function works well whenever mozilla is unfocused but is very sluggish when mozilla (thunderbird or firefox) window has focus.

How many of you are running dualhead configuration?

My configuration is Lenovo T60/2GB RAM/Core2Duo 2GHz/M-RadeonX1400/1680x1050widescreen +external Eizo S2111W + Ubuntu Gutsy.

Comment

software : debian / testing with compiz fusion from tux repo

Hardware : ati mobility radeon hd 2400 / core 2 duo 7300

Exprience :

-Compiz work but only under kde , it worked once under gnom (not the first time) but since i can t get any windows decorations..?????
                      -Firefox : not so slow on my comp regarding the other experiences
                      -Wine : working fine but only if launch from "/usr/bin/gksu -u root /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator"
                      -Others : can not launch a graphicl application from a terminal (ex gedit) except if launched from "/usr/bin/gksu -u root /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator"

Opinion : Will wait 1 days to see if there are some solutions to the wine and gnome/compiz problem , if not i ll get back to 8.41.7

Comment

Working...
                      X