Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: 8.42.3 Compiz Missing GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    No work for me:

    X Window System Version 1.3.0;
    Slackware 12.0;
    Kernel 2.6.21.5-smp;
    Ati Raedon 9600 Pro;
    Driver 8.42.3

    Parts of my xorg.log:
    Code:
    ...
    (**) Option "AIGLX" "true"
    (**) Extension "Composite" is enabled
    (**) AIGLX enabled
    (II) Loading extension GLX
    (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
    (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
    	compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.42.3
    	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
    (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so
    ...
    Compiz return:
    Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing

  2. #12

    Default compiz + fglrx 8.42.3 problem

    Same problem here:
    Ubuntu 7.10
    Kernel 2.6.22.14
    ATI Mobility Radeon X300 (OEM Dell)
    fglrx driver 8.42.3

    /var/log/Xorg.0.log looks fine and fgl-glxgears and glxgears run like a charm - about 150% faster than with the open source driver i previously used.


    glxinfo displays GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in both the "server" and the "client" sections but NOT the "GLX Extensions" section. locally compiled compiz-0.6.2 complains about this and does not start.

    Please help!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Setting the env variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true makes Compiz work.

    Not perfectly: windows have no border, and OpenGL programs seem to give a white window instead of the proper output. Maybe some more tinkering will give the expected result?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Setting the env variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true NOT work for me!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giaco View Post
    Setting the env variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true NOT work for me!
    Even if it would start you really don't want all the processing done by the cpu (which is what indirect rendering means -> no hardware acceleration). You really want direct rendering with AIGLX which is somehow not supported by the current driver 8.42.3. Check the output of 'glxinfo'. You'll see that 'GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap' is missing under 'GLX extensions' -> check first posting of this thread

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pm_64 View Post
    Even if it would start you really don't want all the processing done by the cpu (which is what indirect rendering means -> no hardware acceleration). You really want direct rendering with AIGLX which is somehow not supported by the current driver 8.42.3. Check the output of 'glxinfo'. You'll see that 'GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap' is missing under 'GLX extensions' -> check first posting of this thread
    As far as I know, indirect rendering does NOT mean software rendering, but only that the rendering commands are passed through the X server. This makes the whole thing a bit slower than direct rendering, but it's probably still hardware accelerated. After all AIGLX = Accelerated Indirect GLX.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ambro814 View Post
    As far as I know, indirect rendering does NOT mean software rendering, but only that the rendering commands are passed through the X server. This makes the whole thing a bit slower than direct rendering, but it's probably still hardware accelerated. After all AIGLX = Accelerated Indirect GLX.
    I think you are wrong there. Indirect rendering is synonymous with software/slow rendering [1]. Maybe this will be completed in 8.43

    References:
    [1] Accelerated Indirect GLX, Kristian Høgsberg, XDevConf, 9 Feb 2006, http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/aiglx.pdf (page 4)
    Last edited by pm_64; 10-29-2007 at 03:57 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pm_64 View Post
    I think you are wrong there. Indirect rendering is synonymous with software/slow rendering [1]. Maybe this is already fixed in 8.43

    References:
    [1] Accelerated Indirect GLX, Kristian Høgsberg, XDevConf, 9 Feb 2006, http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/aiglx.pdf (page 4)
    You don't know what you're reading. What you said was *before* AIGLX. AIGLX is what allows you do do hardware accelerated indirect rendering. I suggest you read a few pages further ...
    In an AIGLX enabled server, try running "glxgears" and "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxgears" and compare fps. Indirect will be maybe only 70% performance, but stil hardware accelerated.
    Last edited by ambro814; 10-29-2007 at 04:08 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ambro814 View Post
    You don't know what you're reading. What you said was *before* AIGLX. AIGLX is what allows you do do hardware accelerated indirect rendering. I suggest you read a few pages further ...
    What do you think is the reason for the compiz script to check for direct rendering support and after the check fails to fall back to indirect rendering? Is that for the use with XGL?

    # Check whether the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension is available in
    # direct or indirect rendering contexts. If it is available only in indirect
    # rendering contexts, force compiz to use indirect rendering.
    Btw I only disproved your statement:
    As far as I know, indirect rendering does NOT mean software rendering, but only that the rendering commands are passed through the X server.
    If you know more regarding the topic of this thread please tell us. Currently it is far too slow to be useful. With XGL it worked flawlessly with low cpu usage.
    Last edited by pm_64; 10-29-2007 at 04:19 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ambro814 View Post
    In an AIGLX enabled server, try running "glxgears" and "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxgears" and compare fps. Indirect will be maybe only 70% performance, but stil hardware accelerated.
    Yeah, 92% of the performance (process xorg takes 100% cpu load). Anyway, fact is cpu load is far to high with compiz based on AIGLX. Maybe some calculations are done on the gpu but it seems that's not enough. I haven't read anything about poor performance with the aiglx implementation of nvidia so i draw my conclusion maybe too fast. But I really hope it won't stay that way because fglrx 8.42.3 with compiz on aiglx is too slow to be useful and there are lots of people stating the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •